9/8/09

One of these days

Alice's voice brings Kyle reassurance that she was alive, but knowing she was caught, his adrenaline continues to surge through his veins.

Still on all fours, he makes it to the jeep, squinting to try to make everything out. "Hang on... I'm coming." Crawling to the windshield, he uses his already-bleeding elbow to break out the rest of the glass.

Reaching inside, he wipes his eye again before fumbling with Alice's seatbelt. He felt like the world was upside down and spinning, but knew he had to be upright since gravity was pulling him in that direction.

Finally he hears a click. "I got it... careful..." He tries his best to guide Alice out through the windshield. Once he knows she's clear, he collapses by the upturned hood of the jeep. Sitting with his head leaning back, he gives a little moan. "I feel..." He squints at Alice. "...numb." It was as if his brain was slowing down little by little, and each thought felt a little more lethargic than the last. "...and cold."

It was just as well that he couldn't see the blood on his clothes. "The others... we have to find... Blake. Are you... are you... okay?"


Gage plays with a packet of sweetener, not looking up when Sapphire joins him. Still waiting for someone to come take their order though, he finally breaks the silence.

"How come you keep saying I'm your friend? I don't understand."

Looking up, he gazes into her eyes. His look held so many things. Someone just meeting him now would think him to be very passive and shy. And maybe that was partly true now. But there was blood on his hands. He knew how to torture people. He knew how to hunt people and fight and kill. There was a look in his eye that spoke of a man with a much heavier past that simply being sheltered. He might not know much about living in society yet, but he had baggage unlike a normal person.

"With everything that happened... I don't understand why you want to be with someone like me. I mean I know you've told me you care and all that, and want to help but... friendship... that's... that's more than wanting to help me."


Jeff gives Katie a hug, still sitting, and giving her the best smile he can. Receiving her question, he shakes his head, then motions for her to sit next to him. "No... no, I came home so I could be where I love."

Taking a deep breath, he looks at his niece with seriousness, though still tries to be light about the whole thing. "I, um... just wanted to be with family again. Rick sent along some medication for me to help keep the symptoms at bay but..."

He swallows hard and reaches over to take Katie's hand. "It, um... we think it's something from the Agency and... it's aggressive. And... I'm getting worse. But there is no cure."

Another faint smile surfaces. "One of these days, I'm finally going to be better for good. That's... why I wanted to come home. So I'd get a chance to see everybody again."

No comments: