8/24/09

Weakness

"Shhh." Jason moves up on the bed, letting Katie rest her head in his lap. He continues to run his fingers through her hair, just letting her cry and talk. He felt rotten and he wasn't even sure why. Maybe because he felt he should have known she was in so much pain... that he should have seen the signs... that he should have been more careful.

Disappointment flickers in his eyes, but he keeps it at bay. He had had hopes for solving their connection problems, but it looked like it would not happen now. He knew Katie wasn't doing any of this on purpose - on the contrary, she was in so much pain. But he couldn't help but be a little disappointed that things hadn't worked out this time around.

"It's okay..." His voice is low and soothing. Looking up, he sees Rick still there. "Has she taken her dose today?"

"I doubt it. I don't think she's been out of bed. She better take hers though since you would have taken yours at least two hours ago."

Jason shakes his head slowly. "I... didn't take it."

Rick's eyebrows rise. "What? Why?"

"Something told me not to." Jason shrugs. "We don't have long now... I can feel things starting to move again. Katie should feel it soon, too." Bending over, he kisses her forehead. "You're gonna be alright," he coaxes. "I know it hurts... there's nothing wrong with the way you feel... it was an awful thing to go through and you have every right to feel scared."

As Rick watches, he could tell that Jason was disappointed. He knew his young friend had finally thought he'd found freedom. Giving that up right now wasn't easy for him, and he would probably think more on it later, but right now, he was there for Katie - she was priority and Rick approved. "Want me to stay?"

"I don't know what for," Jason admits. "Just... when you get back to TJY, ask Ryder if he and Thirteen can take care of Trooper and... tell Reese what's going on."

"Yeah, sure, no problem. If you need anything, call."

"Right." Jason watches him leave, then lifts Katie up a little. Kicking off his shoes, he scoots back further onto the bed to lay on his side, tucking Katie in next to him with his arm around her, his chest to her back. He kisses the top of her head and hums a lullaby for a few minutes, trying to comfort her. "If you need to talk more, I'm here."


Gage looks at the lemonade for several moments before hesitantly taking it. One could tell he wasn't sure what to do with a free gift from a stranger, but Hope had tapped into his new weakness. Unscrewing the cap, he takes a small sip, savoring the tangy sour and sweet flavor.

It takes him a long time again to respond to Hope. He wasn't slow... by no means. He was highly intelligent and knew exactly what she was asking. But he took time to formulate his answers.

"I don't know how to live my own life," he admits quietly. "I... I thought I did, but... now I know different." His eyes glance up to catch Hope's. "I didn't know all those things I did were wrong. I just... I saw a lot of people get hurt and... and I helped it happen... like with Katie..."

He swallows and shrugs lamely. "I didn't know there was anything else... I thought there was a reason for it all. And now, I... the thought of being on my own... I like it, but... I don't know how. It's kinda scary out there, ya know?"

He almost laughs, feeling very stupid. "I know they might send me to jail, and I guess maybe that would be best. I just... never had a chance before."

No comments: