4/26/08

Nope

Pulled up to Misty’s place, Carson declines, opting to remain in the car. “Rodents don’t bother me, but, um…I’ll just wait for you out here.”

Waiting a few minutes, Carson leans over and turns the key in the car so he can switch the radio on, then shoves a stick of gum in his mouth to keep himself occupied.

Once Misty comes back out, he gives her a sheepish grin. “Yeah, I need something alright. I need to match my date. But I dare say no matter what I do, I’m not going to look or smell as good as you, so we might as well not even stop by my place.”

It doesn’t take but a few minutes to get across down and to the lot where the carnival has set up. As the evening draws the darkness, lights are everywhere. Booths are lined up by the dozen with everything from games to food. Rides are lit up, music plays, and kids laugh and shout. The warm air drifts through the scene, embracing the activities in a peaceful mood that encourages fun.

Getting out of the car, Carson automatically lets Misty take the lead. Though appearing simply to be polite, he didn’t want to admit that he’d never been to something like this before. Any “fun” he’d ever had in his life wasn’t exactly what other people would consider as such, or if they did, they were just as rough around the edges as he was. This wasn’t something he’d experienced before, and just wasn’t quite sure what to do.

He slings an arm around Misty’s shoulder, aiming for the entrance. “Alright, kidnapper, lead the way.”


Laura tries not to catch Nate’s eye, but it’s an impossible goal, and she blushes just a little, looking back down to the table.

Once the food arrives, she relaxes more, enjoying both Nate and Maggie’s company.

Thanked for the evening, Laura looks up and shakes her head, smiling. “I don’t know what you’re thanking me for. You two are providing the company I needed, so we’ll just call it even.” She grins, polishing the last of her pizza slice. “Now…who wants ice cream? And don’t either of you decline, because I don’t want to look like a pig, and I’m dying to have one of Herb’s sundaes.”


Wyatt frowns and shakes his head. “Nope. I’m not leaving until Laura gets back.” He moves out of the doorway, not wanting Katie to feel trapped. “You can let me help or ignore me completely. Either way, you’re not getting off the hook that easy.”

He cocks his head, his eyes softening. “Come on. Why don’t you get yourself to bed early. I’ll keep the monsters away and get out of your hair once Laura gets home, alright?”

No comments: