4/26/08

Teddy

Finding humor in Misty’s excitement, Carson plays along, taking a bite of the cotton candy. A grin forms. “Mm…pure sugar. Ain’t gonna find anything sweeter than this.” He throws Misty a wink. “Unless of course, it’s you.”

Moving on, Carson begins to get his bearings, starting to relax, though his eyes are ever shifting throughout the milling crowd. He takes in all the faces he sees like a camera, instantly sorting through the files in his brain to ensure he recognizes no one, and senses no danger.

Keeping Misty either under his arm, or hand-in-hand, Carson joins in the fun by taking her on a few of the rides, grabbing a bite to eat at a hotdog stand, and playing some of the games.

Coming up on a shooting game, Carson gives Misty a sidelong glance. “Now if there’s one thing I can’t pass up, it’s this.” He grins slyly. “Our secret.”

Going up to the counter, he pays and retrieves the game rifle, picking out several moving targets, hitting them dead on each time.

The carnival man rolls his eyes. “Let me guess. You’re either a cop, or an avid hunter.”

“Mmm…” Carson cocks his head. “We’ll settle for hunter today…along with Teddy up there.”

The man shakes his head, though smiles, retrieving the teddy bear prize.

Carson sidles up to Misty again, tossing her the bear. “You can keep him as long as you don’t give him more attention than you do me.”


Wyatt’s shoulders drop just a little at Katie’s resistance to his company. He’d tried not to be overbearing, but apparently he’d said or done something wrong. He couldn’t blame her for wanting to be alone, but his worry persisted, making him leery about leaving.

Katie was making herself quite clear though, and Wyatt had to respect her choice, whether he liked it or not.

“Naw, you go on. I won’t follow you, Katie.” He withholds the sigh that wants to come. “I’ll leave you alone. I didn’t mean to smother you.” He heads for the door himself, his keys in hand. “If you need anything….well, you know you can call.”

He aims for his jeep, pulling out his cell phone.


Laura smiles at Herb. “You know me. Plain Jane. Just give me your original sundae with chocolate and coolwhip, but hold the cherry.”

She leans back in her chair and finishes her soda pop, giving a start as her phone rings. “Sorry,” she apologizes for the interruption, picking it up. “Hello?”

“Hey, it’s Wyatt.”

“Oh, Wyatt, I’m glad to hear from you. I’m downtown, heading home in a while. I hadn’t heard anything…everything alright?”

Wyatt leans up against his jeep, finally letting go of his sigh. “As alright as can be. I’ve overstayed my welcome, but I’m gonna wait out in my jeep ‘til you get back. Katie’s bent on going for a walk – she’s so out of it, Laura…but there’s nothing more I can do for her. She needs a good night sleep.”

Laura can feel the despair starting to return. “Thanks for staying with her, Wyatt. I’m sorry I didn’t get back sooner. I’ll be there in just a bit. I’m with Nate and Maggie so give me a few more minutes.”

“No problems. Take your time. It’s not like I’ve got plans.”

“Alright. See you later.” Laura hangs up, giving a little sigh, then looking up at Nate. “After desert, I gotta go. Poor Wyatt’s been trying to look after Katie, but it sounds like it’s not going so well.”

No comments: