4/10/08

Back in one piece

Jason is grateful for Katie's words, and as always, he's calmed by them. "Thanks, Hero. I'll give you a call later, though it's getting to be the wee hours of the morning. Whether we hear anything or not, I'll keep you updated."


Carson can tell that Misty is keeping an eye on him, and though pride gets in the way, he doesn't complain. Maybe sometimes it was okay to have somebody looking out for him.

As they enter TJY, Carson separates himself just a little from Misty, not wanting to deal with any flack.

Jason, Nate, Rick and Reese are on the main floor and give a start as they see Misty and Carson. Reese wastes no time in going to his niece, embracing her in a relieved hug. "My word, Misty, you had me worried sick." He withdraws to hold her at arm's length. "Are you alright? I never would have forgiven myself had you ended up in the hands of the Agency. This whole thing was my fault."

Carson stands back a little, slightly surprised by Reese's reaction. He would have expected Misty to get the bad rap for going after him...but apparently Reese's love for his niece overruled that... It had been a long time since Carson had seen something like that. He leans a little unsteadily against a cubical wall, unsure what he's to do now.

Jason looks at him expectantly. "Thanks for bringing her back, Carson. How come you didn't call?"

Carson tosses the cell phone to Nate. "Wanted to make sure it was really over, and by that time, we were already 'bout back here." He stares at Nate for a moment. "Everyone is in one piece as requested."

"Did you run into any trouble?"

Carson holds a steady gaze lacking emotion. "Nothing Misty couldn't handle. No one got hurt."

Rick moves forward. "You're not looking so great."

"I feel like crap."

"Well, at least you're honest." Rick shakes his head. "Come on back to the infirmary while these guys talk and I'll give you something for that pain...I know your shoulder must be killing you, and by the way you're standing, my guess would be that some of your ribs went overlooked earlier."

Carson follows numbly down the now-familiar hall, starting to feel as if he's in a daze. So many things had changed...his circumstances...these events...and something inside of him was changing as well. It had started the day he hadn't killed Jamie, and it was growing larger...he wasn't sure what it was...it was a little scary...but unidentifiable.

After Carson has left the room, Jason glance at Misty with a perturbed look. "You do realize that you have too much spunk for your own good, don't you?" He shakes his head. "My fault. I shoulda known you'd go off like that. But next time, would you please stay on the line longer so I have a chance to reroute you?"

No comments: