3/12/08

Future?

It’s not long before the three friends break up at the waterfront. They turn and head back to their claimed spot on the beach.

Kyle grabs his shirt that’s now dry, and pulls it over his head, glancing around for Katie. “Hey, did we lose our new friend?”

Jen chuckles and shakes her head. “No, she went over there.” She points.

Kyle follows her aim and sees Katie a ways away. “She okay?”

“I think so.”

“Should I go get her?”

“I will,” Phil volunteers.

Kyle looks at him quickly, a little surprised.

Phil gives him a silly grin. “I’m kidding. I know you want to. Go on.”

Kyle smirks and heads in Katie’s direction, ignoring his brother’s teasing. He takes his time, enjoying the sand on his bare feet, and slowly comes up behind Katie, sidling in beside her to lean his forearms on the fence. He lets his gaze fall upon the water’s brilliant sunset colors. “Pretty, isn’t it? This is one of my favorite spots…when I just need to get away and think.” He takes a deep breath of the air, his spirit calmed by the recent encounter with his Maker, while fellowshipping with his brother and friend. “We’re all ready to go,” he mentions, still holding his stare on the lake. “But we’ll stay as long as you need to.


A shiver runs down Cindy’s spine as Wes runs his hand along her face. She looks deep into his eyes, feeling herself getting lost in their stare. Finally she sighs, relenting to dinner. “Okay…if you insist.” She grins and turns away to go sit back down at the table.

Supper is delightful. Cindy has always had so much fun with Wes, but each time they do something special, she has even more fun. It’s like a never-ending fairytale.

When finished, she leans back in her chair and stares up at the pink sky. It was so pretty. “Wes…” Her voice is soft and low. “Do you think this whole thing with the Agency will ever be over? I mean…you and me, and Mick, Rosetta, Luke and Angel…we’re all waiting to move on with our lives, based on the hope that this case will be over soon.” She finally lowers her gazes to Wes’ face. “I…I would hate to miss out on a portion of our future when we’re not even sure when it will begin…”


“Hey you.”

Jason looks up from the corner of the table to see Jade with her plate, looking for a place to sit. “Hey.”

Jade smiles. “May I join you?”

“Sure.” Jason had chosen a seat away from the others at suppertime, though didn’t mind Jade’s company. He straightens in his chair, nodding to the empty seat diagonal from him. “Have at it.”

“Thanks.” Jade settles down. “So…” she takes a bite of her roast beef. “How long you sticking around for?”

“A few more hours.”

A slight bit of disappointment shows in Jade’s eyes. “Oh?”

“Yeah.” Jason takes a sip of his drink and wipes his mouth with a napkin. “I got obligations back in Nevada.”

“Does the obligation have a name?”

Jason gives Jade an amused sidelong glance. “Maybe.”

Jade grins. “You happy there?”

“I think so.” Jason shrugs. “It’s different…so much has changed. I’m still not settled. But…I think I will be.”

“I know you will.” Jade reaches over to give his arm a gentle pat. “Just don’t give up, huh?”

Jason forces a short laugh. “Is it that obvious that I was ready to?”

Jade gives him a smile. “Just a little. I don’t know all that happened, but whatever it was…I know you’re smart enough and strong enough to get through it.”

“I hope so.”

“So…are you flying back in the morning?”

Jason shakes his head. “Clint and I are heading into town right after supper to do some shopping, and if all goes well, I’ll be getting a set of wheels to take myself back bright and early. That’ll get me back there by evening tomorrow if I make good time.”

No comments: