3/12/08

Evening Falls

Kyle finally turns to see Katie’s face, enjoying the warmth reflecting in her eyes. Something was different…he wasn’t sure he could put his finger on it, but something had changed since earlier that afternoon. “Ya know…I believe you. You and Jen will walk again, and when you do…I sure am gonna enjoy seeing you both here on this beach.”

After a moment, the silly glint returns to his eyes, as his mouth curls up into a grin. “Alright, KT, let’s get you on back before that nurse comes after us. I had nightmares last night that she was hunting us down for being too rambunctious.” His laugh tells he’s kidding, and he takes hold of the back of Katie’s chair to help her back to the truck.

The ride back to the hospital is just as crazy as it was going, though this time Kyle had somehow managed to get in the backseat before Mike, claming the spot next to Katie.

Getting back to the hospital, dusk is upon them, and just Kyle gets Katie back up to her room. He helps her out of her chair and onto her bed. Once settled, he takes a bag that he’d brought in with him. “I almost forgot…I got some paper, and some water colors, and some other stuff in here for ya.” He smiles, setting the bag down on the table. “If you still want to do that picture for us, have at it. I’ve got a piece of paper in there that shows our logo if you wanna add it too.”

He pauses for a moment, and cocks his head, looking at Katie. “Hey, thanks for coming along with us today. It was a lot of fun. You have a good night, alright?” He winks at her. “And we’ll be back…hopefully we’ll hear from Jason tomorrow, so we’ll be around.” He lingers a second or two longer, and finally turns around to amble back out into the hall, greeting the nurse loudly, with a bow before sprinting down the hall back to the elevator, making screeching noises as he brakes before the doors.

The single red rose rests on Katie’s table.


Cindy returns Wes’ kiss with all the love and joy that’s trying to bubble over. She holds Wes tight, tears once again filling her eyes. “I’d love to live here…and I’d love to get married soon. You’re the most wonderful man in the world, and I couldn’t be happier.” She pulls back just a little to lay a soft hand against his face. “I will follow you no matter what…no matter what happens with the Agency, no matter if you build here, or decide it’s best to move. As long as I’m with you, I have all I need.”


Reese looks up wearily from his paperwork, hearing the knock on the door. He hadn’t realized anyone was still around. “Yes, come in!”

No comments: