3/19/08

Doctor

Jason shakes his head numbly, no longer surprised by Katie sensing his stress. “No…I’m not okay.” He sighs deeply and raises his head to search for Katie’s eyes in the dark. “I will be though. Just a bad dream is all.”

He stands up and wanders to the window, looking out for several minutes, trying to settle his mind, though it doesn’t do much good. Tired, but unable to close his eyes again, lest the dream reoccur, instead of heading back for the bed, he aims for the chair.

Pulling it up close to Katie’s bed, he sits down and leans forward to use his arms as a pillow on the mattress next to her. Her closeness brings the comfort he knew it would…he couldn’t deny it that she was able to calm him when nothing else could. “I’m just scared of people getting hurt, ya know?” He keeps his voice quiet, glad for the darkness, though light would be coming soon. “I guess this thing with Con shook me up more than I thought.”


Con continues to mop up the milk as Jamie joins him. “Huh?” He looks up at her. “No, you don’t need to help, I was just clumsy.” He rolls his eyes. “I know, I know, Rick would have my hide if he knew I was up, but I feel a hundred and ten percent better than yesterday.”

Though tossing the wet paper towels into the trashcan, he remains on the floor, sitting up to lean back against the cupboards and sighs. He feels silly sitting here, and he has enough strength to get up, but he just doesn’t want to. There were so many questions now…so many variables… He had to know for sure though if his condition was permanent… “Jamie…” He keeps his eyes staring down. “Do you have time to take me to Doctor Bradley downtown?” He knows how strange the request is, as there’s no reason he shouldn’t see Rick, but he can’t…not this time…

No comments: