1/29/08

On the road

Jason lets a slight chuckle out at Katie. “Yeah, you look great. Come on.”

He leads the way as quietly as possible, moving swiftly on his crutches. He heads down the driveway, then veers off onto a path that leads away from the ranch yard. He doesn’t say much until the small hideout comes into view. “Alright.” He stops and whispers. “Pete’s car is hidden just a short ways away from the cabins. I hacked into the camera system about an hour ago so no one should have seen us so far. They’ll fix it in the morning. We should be able to get the car started and get out of here without waking anyone up.” He throws Katie a grin. “His mustang purrs like a kitten.”

Jason keeps going, leading the way to the car that’s covered with a tarp. Taking it off, he gestures for Katie to get in the passenger side. After getting his crutches in the back seat, he eases in behind the steering wheel. Within minutes, they’ve hit the main road, and Jason revs the engine, pushing the speed limit down the darkened highway.

Finally he glances to Katie. “Alright…Reese isn’t taking my calls, Austin and I aren’t on speaking terms, and my future is in jeopardy. I’m going to TJY in a last ditch effort to get Carter to repeal my suspension. It’ll take us about sixteen hours to get there. Once we arrive, it might get a little hairy if Reese won’t see me, but I’m bound and determined to speak my mind, and I’ll do it one way or another.”

No comments: