2/23/09

That's all

“All I wanted to know was why Reese chose you for this mission, and most of what you said didn’t even apply.” Ryder shakes his head. “I don’t need to know you have a photographic memory, or that you have enough stubbornness to fire a gun when you’re hurt.”

He pauses, searching her face. He could tell he’d hurt her feelings, and he lowers his tone. “I needed to know that you were sent because you’d done the most research about this operation. Or because you had the most skill when it came to getting in under security. Or because you knew exactly what it was you guys are looking for. That’s all I wanted to know.”

Sighing, Ryder takes a deep breath, calming himself. “Look, I’m sorry, okay? I just… I’ve seen too many people like you, Katie. People who are so talented that they don’t even realize they don’t need to prove it all the time. I don’t give a rat’s patooty that you can fire a gun at all, let alone with a broken arm. I care that you’re focused on success in the mission – not your own abilities. I care that you’re focused on what the team as a whole can accomplish – not what you yourself can accomplish in the team.”

He pauses, looking into Katie’s eyes. His tone grows even softer. “And I know that that’s what’s in your heart. So quit trying to tell me what you’re good at.”

Ryder shrugs lamely. “Carson set me off, and I shouldn’t have let him. For that, I’m sorry.”

No comments: