10/3/08

Not saying

“Yeah…it’ll just take time,” Wyatt agrees. “We’re not that bad of a bunch once you get used to us.” He smiles a little, trying to overcome his own discomfort. “Say, um… I don’t know what any of your plans are, but there’s a little family Italian place downtown that we all like to hang out at… maybe some of us can get together for supper or something… kinda get to know each other a little better.”


Carson’s eyes stayed glued to the table as Herb gently confronts him. He wanted to get upset, but knew he had no right to. He’d asked Herb from the get-go to keep an eye on him, and he was doing just that. Carson couldn’t retaliate, nor could he deny that he’d just told a lie to someone who’d been trying to help him change.

He fidgets with his pen in his hand, weighing his options. Finally he answers, though his eyes are still down. “I…I’ve just had a few delays on my jogging route, that’s all.”

A bit of heat returns to his face. “It just…um… it’s kinda stuff I wanted to do, that’s all.” He shrugs.

Eventually, Carson glances up to look Herb in the eye. “I haven’t had a drop of liquor.”

No comments: