5/3/08

Missing...

Con sighs deeply and reaches out to pull Jamie down next to him, resting her head on his chest and giving the top of her head a kiss. "You haven't done a thing wrong or a thing to upset me. I don't know how you could."

He gives her shoulders a squeeze. "If I was upset with you, I'd say so, you know that."

Con thinks for several long moments. "I miss TJY, Jamie." He runs his hand along Jamie's shoulder and arm absentmindedly. "I miss the people...I miss doing something worthwhile. I got a good job at the lumberyard, but for what? Not a day goes by I don't wish I was helping people instead of stacking two-by-fours."

He lets out a weary scoff. "I even toyed with the idea of trying to get back on the force. But no one's going to want me. I wouldn't qualify anymore with my hearing loss. And all I'd have at TJY would be a desk job...not to mention the fact that I made such a big deal out of resigning that I'm not sure I could go back anyway...I've never been stuck with a deadend job before and that's what it feels like...I miss what I had before, and every day it gets worse."


Carson looks to Nate, fighting his own emotions. "Thanks, Nate. It's good to be back and...I hope I can live up to your expectations from now on."

Wyatt gives a little nod, signaling that he's okay with Carson being here now. Ending the exchange, he stands up. "Well...let's get you over to see Reese. I'm sure he'll be glad we gained a man instead of losing another one."

No comments: