5/12/08

Catch up

Katie’s arms around Jason act as the shelter intended as he tries to claw his way up through everything he’s feeling.

Led to the couch, he numbly follows, letting Katie hold him. Her hand running through his hair is like a warm breeze to make the shadows drift away. Her soothing voice is like a healing balm to his soul.

Jason grows quiet, just sitting with Katie in silence for a long while. Finally he sits straighter, leaning his head back with his eyes closed. The tears had stopped, the torment had eased. He felt completely drained of all energy.

“It all happened so fast…” His voice is hoarse and quiet. “I didn’t even know I was going to get out.” He swallows hard, his mouth feeling like he’d been sucking on cotton. “Reese hasn’t told me everything yet…I don’t know how it happened. He said he’d explain later.”

Jason pauses again, opening his eyes to stare ahead at nothingness. His hand moves over to hold Katie’s, his thumb running over her own. “How long has it been, Hero…it feels like an eternity. Time just…slipped away. I feel like I’m in a dream…like none of this is even real.”

Thinking again, his mind remembers all the things he hadn’t told Katie…all the things he hadn’t shared. The things he’d done…the situations he’d been in…the reputation he’d built.

“Katie, I don’t know how to catch up…”


“I’ve got to call Sheriff Brown,” Reese nods to Susanne as he walks across the main floor. “Let him know we got him out.”

“I’m just so glad he’s home,” Susanne breathes. “Have you let everyone else know yet?”

“I’m working on it.”

“Where is he now?”

“Dropped him off at Katie’s. I don’t know if he’ll be in or not…”


Scott’s typing ceases as he hears the news. His eyes remain glued to his computer screen, though his mind can’t help but wander.

No comments: