4/27/08

Rambunctious animals

Laura looks back over her shoulder at Nate, thinking for just a moment. "Katie can come if she wants to. But...I'm okay if it's just us."


“Oh, Katie.” Wyatt straightens and reaches out his arms. “Come here.” Wrapping her in a strong embrace, he just holds her close, rubbing her back a little, and letting her cry. “It’ll be alright,” he soothes. “I promise.”

Pulling back a little, he takes his hand to wipe away some of her tears, offering her a crooked smile. “Before you know it, this’ll all just be a memory. Brighter days are coming, I guarantee it.”


Con chuckles and returns Jamie’s hug. “If you missed a big ol’ sweaty guy like me, I must be doing something right.” He gives her a squeeze, then draws back slightly so he can see her face. “I missed you too. I can only assume that my sister was the one who told you I was here…I’m glad she did…now I’ve got the best of both worlds.”

He stops for a moment, just looking into Jamie’s eyes, feeling the love he’d come to cherish. Leaning down, he plants a tender kiss on her lips before straightening again, and running a hand through Jamie’s windblown hair. “I hope you’re planning to stay a couple days.”

Dan raises his eyebrows as he sees Con and Jamie together, and finds himself stopping his work, too surprised to continue. Without realizing it, he loosens his grip on his hammer and it goes sliding down the new roof, falling to the ground right behind Con.

Feeling the vibration of the fallen tool, Con lets Jamie go to turn around, then look up at his uncle. His face reddens slightly as he suddenly realizes that his family didn’t know he had a girlfriend. “Lose something?” he calls up.

“Uh..” Dan grins sheepishly. “Yeah.”

Con leans down and picks up the hammer, then walks a couple feet to a makeshift workbench. Opting for a different level of appropriateness with Jamie there, he grabs his t-shirt to pull over his head, then takes a swig of lemonade before standing back and tossing the hammer back up to his uncle. “Dan, this is Jamie Franklin.” He gestures between the two. “Jamie, this is my uncle Dan.”

Out of nowhere, a red-faced, excited Mindy comes racing around the corner, running smack into Con to wrap her arms around his leg. “Unca Con!” She looks up at him, her bright eyes shining. “You pwomised to help me wiff Nina.”

Con chuckles and ruffles her hair. “I did, and I will.” He glances up to Jamie. “And this is my cousin Mindy.”

A tug to his shirt causes him to look down again, surprised to now have Haley in the mix. “Hey, squirt.” He grins. “And my other cousin Haley.”

Laughter and a shriek come from the yard. “And there are seven more rambunctious animals running around here too.”


“Grandma!” Michaela’s jaw drops as she stares out the window. “Con just kissed that lady!”

Paula’s eyes widen and she can’t help but look out the window as well, seeing her nephew embracing the stranger. “That’s very….” She cuts herself off. “That’s Con’s business not yours,” she chides. “You’re supposed to be setting the table.”

“But…”

“No buts.” Paula hands her granddaughter several more plates. But when alone again, she steals another glance out the window, a slight grin forming on her mouth.

“Did someone say Con was kissing somebody?!” Jake comes from the hall.

Paula’s moment of reflection quickly leaves and she turns around sternly. “It’s none of your nevermind, Jake. Now where’s your brother?”

No comments: