4/27/08

Even

Laura looks up from her desk as Nate comes over, and gives him a little grin. “Thanks.” She points a finger at him. “As long as that charm of yours sticks to snakes, we’ll be fine.”

She turns back around, facing her computer. “See you about noon then?”


Wyatt pauses in his work, turning to look at Katie while leaning an elbow on the open filing cabinet. His face shows compassion, though it is tempered today.

“Katie, you don’t have anything to be sorry for.” He cocks his head, waiting for her to look up at him. “I know this isn’t easy for you. Maybe it’s me who should be apologizing. If I overstepped my bounds yesterday, I’m sorry. I probably shouldn’t have cornered you like I did. So…” He shrugs. “I guess we’re even.”


Con quirks an eyebrow as Jamie starts to walk away. “Get back here,” he orders, a teasing edge to his voice. “If I’da known you were just gonna come and leave, I wouldn’t have bothered getting down from the roof. So you can at least make the effort worth my while.”

No comments: