3/24/08

Time to stop

Con feels a hand on his shoulder, and hears Katie’s voice. He doesn’t move for several minutes still, unsure of what to say or how to respond. Finally though, he lifts his head to sit up straight, his eyes continuing to stare ahead. The grime on his face is streaked where tears have run, though he’s managed to stop them. He draws in a shaky breath, trying to stay on top of his emotions, especially in front of someone else. “I don’t think I can take this anymore,” he says quietly. He swallows hard, remaining kneeled on the floor. “When I kill a man out of anger…it’s time to stop. Something has to give…I can’t keep fighting…not like this.”

After another long pause, he reaches up to pat Katie’s hand on his shoulder. “Thanks for being here, Kat.”


Carson shrugs at Nate. “If you can think of any way I can prove my motives, go ahead and tell me, but I think it’s gonna take faith on both our parts.”

Wyatt grimaces, his brain hurting from all this thinking. “How am I supposed to know? We’re stuck. If we take him back to headquarters and he betrays us, he’ll have all the information the Agency needs to take us out. If we let him go, he’s still got more information than he should, and will be right back on our tails. If we take him to the cops, they’ll either take down our headquarters themselves, or put us all in jail for what’s happened.”

He sighs deeply, shaking his head. “How about we take him back to the house, tie him up and leave him there until tomorrow when we’ve thought about it?”

“Aw, come on.” Carson finally sits up, leaning against a tree, one hand on his bloodied arm. “Don’t leave me in there all night. I’ll bleed to death.”

“Maybe you deserve it.”

Carson scowls at Wyatt. “Look, if you’re gonna leave me to die, for pity sake, finish me off nice and quick now. Just put a bullet through my head and be done with it.”

“Tell you what,” Jason intervenes again. “Lets take him back to headquarters and have Rick clean him up. We keep him there until we can make a decision. If we don’t want to keep him around, we take him to the cops. Clean cut, no Agency involved.”

Wyatt nods his agreement. “Alright.” He reaches down to pull Carson up to his feet, being none too gentle.

Carson winces. “Easy, mate.”

Jason gestures to the path in the woods. “Now come on. I’ll call Chris to come back out here and clean this place up a bit so we can’t be traced.”

No comments: