3/18/08

Evening

Kyle laughs. “I know you hate to go back to the hospital, but unfortunately, if I take you to my place, I think I’d probably wind up getting nothing done with a pretty distraction such as you around.” His grin persists as he stands from the table. “Come on. I’ll get you back safe and sound, lest that nurse come after me.”

He leaves money for the meal on the table, and waves to Mable and Herb as they leave. Helping Katie into the truck, in no time they’re on their way back, then finally back in Katie’s room. As she gets settled, Kyle lingers. “I’m guessing that Jason is busy with this friend of yours, so the guys and I won’t bother him now with a call. You can tell him of our decision if you want though, then we can all get together and discuss the details here this week sometime.”

Kyle lets his gaze remain on Katie for several moments before turning to leave. “Later, KT. We’ll talk about that payment for your picture…” He leaves, his voice trailing behind him.


With Con finally sleeping soundly for several hours without a fever returning, Rick makes the judgment call to leave him be. Packing up his bag, he looks at the others. “Jason, I guess you can get back to work…I’ll be along shortly, so you can go ahead and give Reese a report, and Laura too. Angel…I can’t thank you enough for your help. I’m not sure we would have gotten through this had Katie not suggested you come. Before anyone finds out you’ve been here, I can take you on to the airport and get you on back to Texas, so you can be home later this evening.” He turns to Jamie. “And Jamie…if you wouldn’t mind sticking around here for a little while? Give me a call in a couple hours at TJY to let me know how Con is doing, or sooner if anything changes?”

Settled with the plans, Jason heads out, and Rick follows, ensuring that Angel is behind him, to take her to the airport.


The afternoon grows long, and the sun begins to sink lower in the sky. Evening descends upon the Nevada day, bringing a brilliant sunset’s display that scatters a million colors across the sky.

After hours of sleep, Con finally stirs, rolling over on his back, and forcing his eyes partway open. He furrows his brow, trying to bring things into focus, trying to remember why he’s here and what all has happened. Feeling too warm, he kicks off half the covers and rubs his face with his hand, wincing a little at the dull throbbing in his ear. Blinking, he starts to bring the room into focus, and realizes that there are people missing now. “Jamie?”

No comments: