1/26/08

Morning comes

Jason watches Katie leave, and Con leaves as well. For the first time since he’s been awake, Jason is suddenly alone. He stares up at the ceiling, trying to comprehend all that’s just happened. It all seems so fast to him, but to the others, it must have felt like forever.
After a light supper, Jason finds himself finally drifting to sleep, not waking again until the next morning.

“Hey, good morning.” JT sits down next to Jason’s bed and begins to check his vitals. “How are you feeling?”

Jason yawns. “Alright I guess. Not much different.”

JT nods. “Nothing wrong with that.” Finishing up, he writes a few things down on Jason’s chart. “In a few hours, you’ll be on your way home.”

“Sounds good to me.”

JT chuckles. “Now…before you leave though, I’m gonna have a nurse in here, and she’s going to show you some exercises you need to start right away with your knee. I want you doing them every day, and once a week, you’re going to need therapy. I can transfer your information to a closer hospital if you want, otherwise it’s a long drive back here.”

“Alright. I’ll talk to Austin about what he thinks is best with that. Not sure we want to get too spread out with this.”

JT nods knowingly. “I haven’t asked any questions, and I don’t want to know.”

“You act as though you know what we’re about.”

“It’s been a long time…” JT sighs. “Yes…it’s been a long time.” He rises, changing the subject. “Okay young man. If I don’t see you again, it’s been a pleasure. I dare say I’m not going to forget this event.”


Morning is sleepy at the ranch, but spirits are high. After everyone arrived the night before, it was settling to know that Jason would be coming home. Maybe things would turn at least to partial normality now. The gang begins to filter into the mess hall as routine, trying to make plans for the day…

No comments: