12/14/09

Shouldn't be

Sparky's eyes shoot up to meet Rosetta's, focusing on her comment. He could feel a bit of heat creeping up the back of his neck and wondered if it was the room temperature that had risen, or if it was just him.

Swallowing another mouthful of coffee, he lets drinking be the filler for a moment of quiet until words form again. "Yeah... yeah, I know. I've had my own share of ideas for what my future was supposed to look like." He shrugs. "But... seems my plans usually get twisted around one way or the other."

Staring into his mug, he tries to figure out if it was half empty or half full. "Sometimes... I wish I'da had the guts to ask you to dinner too."

Even though his face was warm, he finally looks back up to Rosetta. "Maybe I let one too many chances slip through my fingers. Or maybe it was God 'cause he knew what was better. But..."

He stops, having vowed never to voice these feelings. But here he was, spilling it all out. "...sometimes I... wish I woulda found out if He would have minded so much had I not been so passive with two of my brothers."

Once the words are out of his mouth, he regrets them and his eyes move elsewhere as a rueful chuckle surface. "I'm sorry... I shouldn't be saying these things."

No comments: