11/28/09

On One Condition

"Duh. The offer for coming over is always open, you know that." JT doesn't even turn around, finishing up the breakfast on the stove. For a long time now, it was so usual for Bree to be around that sometimes he forgot she didn't live here. Even her spare room here made it feel as though this was her house too. And JT didn't mind a bit. He got lonely on the days she didn't come over, reminding him how important his niece was to him.

Finally getting everything done, he comes to add to what Bree already set at the table. After a short prayer, food is served, and JT is content just to eat for several quiet minutes before striking up a conversation.

"I gotta go to work for just a couple hours today, so I thought tonight I'd have time to make spaghetti." He had a secret recipe for his spaghetti sauce. He'd never dare to call himself a cook, but that was one thing that he never had complaints about. The only reason he didn't do it more often was a lack of time.

"Maybe we can even invite Gunner over again. He seems to be doing pretty well, but I got a hunch he could still use a bit of a boost. People like him... in that position... sometimes it's harder than they think going home." In reality, JT felt just a little badly. He still knew Gunner had crossed a dangerous line with him when he'd come looking for information, but JT wished he'd been able to see the signs that Gunner wasn't a bad guy, but that he just needed help. But instead, he'd turned him in. Now he hoped that by continuing to build a friendship, he could make up for what had happened.

He takes another bite and cocks his head at Bree, realizing that she seemed to be far away. He waves a hand in front of her face. "Earth to Bree."


Talking with Libby was surprisingly refreshing. Ty didn't have many friends outside of TJY, so having a conversation with someone new was kind of fun. He didn't usually like small talk, especially on days like today when nothing was going right. But for some reason, it wasn't hard to slip into light conversation with Libby.

Getting dropped off at the street corner, Ty gets out to retrieve his bike, then leans in the open window for a moment. "Video arcade, huh?" He didn't usually spend time at places like that - he'd gotten into too much trouble at one point. But... the thought of making a new friend was appealing enough that he might go. "You might see me around then."

A rare, genuine smile surfaces. "Thanks for the lift, Libby."


Another dry laugh surfaces from Kip's mouth. "Yeah... it's a good thing about God 'cause I'm about as far from perfect as one can get."

Looking down, he scuffs his toe on some loose gravel. "Oh well... it's life, right?" He sighs. "Sometimes I just wish I'd never been born. Better for those that despise me, better for me." He shrugs. He wasn't close to taking his life by any means, but his comment did prove some of his real feelings.

"I got a friend who looks out for me see... and all I wind up doing is disappointing him. I got a girl who's no good and I know it, but when she's the only girl who's given me attention, it's just... I don't know...easy, I suppose. But in the end all I do is tick her off. Then there's my father who would just as soon I disappear from the face of the earth. Nothing's good enough for him. So what's left?"

Giving a little growl, he wipes some sweat from his brow. "And here I am, spewing all this to a perfect stranger." He manages a wry grin that made one eye sparkle just a little. "If I knew your name, you wouldn't be a perfect stranger anymore and I'd feel better."


"We've been working with the police in Texas - the same investigator who is leading up the search for Dylan."

Mick listens to Reese through the speakerphone, leaning back in the chair at the table in the corner of the dining hall. He folds his arms across his chest and scans the information that was being sent to his computer. "And?"

"They've narrowed down three locations where Dylan could have been last seen or taken from."

"Are you sending in a team?"

"We're having a meeting today and I will choose who goes in."

"Isn't time of the essence here?"

"Yes. But remember, Mick, that the police are searching for him nonstop right now. The Elite is getting involved only because we believe the Agency might be the culprit here. If that's true, you know how hard it is to find someone, not to mention, more than likely, Dylan is okay - otherwise, the Agency would have rubbed it in your face by now."

Mick sighs and runs a hand over his face. His eyes show how weary he is - the lack of sleep he's had. "Yeah, okay. But everyone's sure he didn't just run off, right?"

"We're ninety-nine percent on that one. The police have tracked down all his friends in state and out, and there's no sign of any foul play, playing around or lies."

"Alright... I'm getting the files now. Who's sending them?"

"I got Scott and Dalton on it. We were allowed access to the case files, so they're retrieving them and sending them your way. I don't know if it'll help you or not. You can't think of anything strange lately at all? Why the Agency would want to get to you?"

Mick shakes his head, even though Reese couldn't see him. "No."

"Would the Agency be trying to get to someone other than you?"

Mick hadn't thought of that. "I... don't think so. There's no one else as closely connected to me, and his mother's family would rather shrink away from the Agency than step up to it, so they're no threat. It's gotta be me."

"Well, I agree that makes the most sense. One thing I want you to keep in mind though, is that in those files you're going to read, the point is made that five other guys Dylan's age have been abducted in the last month. Those are believed to be the work of a psycho who the cops have been tracking for a year. There are similarities in Dylan's case."

Mick's stomach churned. He'd heard about those cases. So far, all boys had died, and it hadn't been quick and painless either. "Yeah... yeah, I know. Thanks, Reese. Let me know what happens after your meeting."

"Will do. Take care."

"Yeah, bye." Mick hits the button to end the call, heaving a deep sigh. God, please bring Dylan back to us... wherever he is, keep him safe... please?

"Dad?"

Mick jumps, jerked from his train of thought by Jade's presence. "Hey."

Jade approaches cautiously. Though successfully avoiding him the night before, she knew he hadn't slept last night, and she knew the result couldn't be good. But she'd put off her request long enough. "Um... do you have a minute?"

"Oh yeah, sure." Mick tries to focus, pointing to a chair Jade could use.

She sits down hesitantly. "Um... you know when you asked me how long I was going to stay?"

Mick nods. "Yes. I'd been meaning to talk to you about that myself, but I figured you just needed some time away to breathe for a while."

"Heh... yeah." Jade tries to grin. "Things have been... kinda rough. You know Mom... she does the best she can, but with Grandma, it just isn't easy."

"I know." Mick had been there.

"Well... um... I was thinking that maybe... since I'm not really into the school Grandma wants me in... and things at home aren't all that great... um.... well I..."

Mick cocks his head a little, waiting. There were things he wanted to say to his daughter, but he would wait, respecting her obvious need to say something.

Jade can feel the heat rise to her cheeks. "I was wondering if I could stay here," she finally blurts. "As in... indefinitely, or... permanently, depending."

Mick's eyebrows rise all on their own before he furrows his brow. He sees the hope on Jade's face, and the fear that he was going to say no. "That's... and interesting thought. What does your mother think?"

"She... doesn't know." Jade bites her lip. "You know she'd want me to stay with her, but... but I'm seventeen, Dad... I was going to be on my own at college... why would this be different? It would be even better, right? I mean, since you're here? And more family?" She searches Mick's eyes hopefully. "I'd pull my weight. I'll work in the barn or the kitchen or... or help Angel or... or help Rosetta in the office or... anything."

Mick purses his lips, thinking for several long moments. He could hear some other people moving around in the dining hall and kitchen, but he ignored their presence, concentrating on Jade. "I'm glad you're thinking that way - everyone who lives here does their share, family or not. But... what about your future? Where do you see yourself in five years? Or ten?"

"I... I don't know. Maybe... maybe I'll still want to go to college, but not until next year. All I know is that I really like it here. And... and I don't know my own father as much as I want to. There's so much about you that I don't even know and... and we fight and I hate that but... but I'm so different from Mom and this is the only place lately where I've felt like I fit at all."

Mick is still very calm, contemplating the subject. A part of his heart wanted so badly to keep Jade here. He loved her so much and had never had the chance to show her. He'd never had a chance to have an influence on her life as a father should. But one thing bothered him. And he knew that bringing it up could produce results he didn't want. But as her father, he felt he needed to. "What about the kinds of friends you'll have here. Or... better yet, who you might take an interest in for perhaps more than a friend?"

Jade's eyes flicker as she keeps her temper at bay. She wanted this too badly to mess it up now. Playing dumb might work at this point. "What do you mean?"

Mick sits back and folds his hands in his lap. "I'm talking about the man you spent all day with yesterday. The one that you know I don't want you spending time with. If you're going to live here, I need to know what your intentions are."

Jade's cheeks turn even redder. "Dan's... a friend. He's just a friend. We had fun, so what?"

"And you have no other thoughts about him?"

"I..." Jade swallows hard. She found Dan attractive, fun, kind... what was not to like? She couldn't help it that she was attracted to him. She'd felt the chemistry, whether her father wanted to acknowledge it or not. "I'm not made of stone," she finally states. "What do you expect me to say? That I think he's unattractive, unkind and repulsive? He's not. But that doesn't mean I have plans."

Mick continues to think before responding. He remains very calm, finding the best possible solution in his mind. To some it might seem cruel, but to him, it was best. He sensed things Jade didn't, and he felt he was doing what was right. "You can stay." He nods. "I don't want to fight your mother over it, but you're right - you're coming of age and you have a right to make some of your own decisions now."

Jade straightens a little, filled with hope again.

"However..." Mick holds up a finger. "If you stay, I expect you not to leave the premises with Dan again. You can be his friend, I don't care. I'm his friend too and he's a good hard worker. But I don't want you spending time alone with him or leaving the ranch with him. He will have to do his daily work as normal, and you'll have your own work to concentrate on."

Jade's hope plummets. Her stomach churns and her cheeks turn from red to white. "But..."

Mick cocks his head. "If you just want to be his friend, you shouldn't have a problem with that."

Sure, she just wanted to be Dan's friend. But she couldn't help the little tingle at the bottom of her spine that hinted at the possibility there could be more between them. But her father was putting the kabosh on it before she even discovered if it was something she wanted. She knew his reasons. She knew he had a bad feeling about Dan that he couldn't put his finger on, and that it gave him a lack of trust. But... it felt so harsh. "That's it huh?" she asks quietly. "If I agree, you'll let me stay?"

Mick nods. "I will."

Jade looks down and finally stands up. "I'll think about it, okay?"

"Okay." Mick glances up at her, offering her a gentle smile. "I love you, Jade."

"I love you too." But Jade's head hung as she left the dining hall. She felt sick as hot tears formed behind her eyes. Even if she just wanted to be friends with Dan forever, they couldn't even do anything together? No going to town? Sharing lunch? No more horseback rides that went beyond the corral? It wasn't fair. And it hurt.

Picking up her pace, she keeps her head down as she goes into the barn, heading for a familiar horse stall. She needed to get out... to clear her head. But arriving at the stall, she finds the mare has been put out with the other horses. She didn't want to take the time to go get her. It felt like what was left of her little world was crumbling.

Instead of leaving though, she enters the stall and hides in a dark corner, sinking down in the clean straw to bury her face in her knees. She couldn't help the few sobs that escaped, and she just hoped that no one heard her.

No comments: