11/19/09

Fatal Accident

Trent's eyes remain down, and for a few moments, he's quiet. "Just because I found Jasmine, doesn't mean it was the plan. Obviously God allowed it to happen, but now I've at least been able to help her get a start as far as finances are concerned. That's enough... she doesn't need to know what kind of a father I am. I don't want to have to explain what happened and why. She should be satisfied with just getting her life back and not be worried about digging up the past. And Katie has no right to interfere."

Standing up, he paces in a little circle. "I didn't even know she knew. I asked that only a few people here knew, then that was it. And I had Ryder's word he wouldn't tell." As far as he knew, it was only Mick and Rosetta, Angel and Luke, Becky and Jim and Eric. He didn't think Jeff or Jay knew, and he didn't think the younger generation had been informed. That's how he wanted it - there was no point in spreading it around. But now he wondered if everyone knew it anyway. Secrets weren't easily kept in any of the families around here, and maybe that was fine. "But not Jasmine!"

Realizing he was finishing a statement that had not been voiced, he looks to Angel lamely. "For once in my life, all I want is peace... all I want is to be able to walk away from the past and leave it where it belongs. But at every corner, something comes to haunt me."


Gunner nods a little, listening to Bree. He liked to hear her talk. Learning a little more about her family, nothing surprised him.

"Good thing you and your uncle get along so well then. Seems he kinda likes keeping an eye on you like his own daughter."

His phone rings. Rolling his eyes, he looks at the number. Not recognizing it, he furrows his brow and apologizes to Bree. "Sorry. Hang on." Answering it, he listens. "Hello? Yes, this is he." He rolls his eyes and mouths "Brent" with annoyance.

During the next few moments though, his face changes. Something was wrong. Something had happened. His tone becomes quieter and subdued. "Oh I see. No, that's fine, um... Yes. Thank you for letting me know."

Shutting his phone, he stares at the table as if in another world, his face tight with the tension of his thoughts. "That was my neighbor."

He slips his phone back in his pocket and takes his float again, still not looking up at Bree. "Fire alarm went off in the apartment building. False alarm, but my apartment was checked. Cat got out."

Gunner swirls his straw around, watching the rest of the ice cream melt into the frothy rootbeer. "She got hit by a car."


"Naw... not really important." Leo tries to shrug it off. "Just something I was supposed to help with this weekend. There will be other times though."

He forces a smile, even though it was obvious that something had disappointed him. "A movie sounds good."

Getting up from the table, he walks slowly to the living room, sinking down in the corner of the couch. It didn't seem any way he sat was comfortable though, as he tries to sit so his ribs didn't hurt, but nothing seemed to work.

No comments: