11/19/09

Claustrophobic

Leo's eyebrows rise at Ryan's insistence. "Um... okay then... I guess I'll stay for a while. I still need to make a few calls though." He grimaces. "I think my cell phone got smashed the other night."

Eli reaches around behind him to take the cordless off the wall and hand it to him. "All yours." He rises from the table, going to put his boots on, while glancing casually back at Ryan. "Gonna go for a ride. I'll be back in a while."

Leo has to stop and remember the number he's trying to dial. Once he's connected though, he tries not to let it bother him that he wasn't alone at this end of the conversation. "Hey, Jan. Yeah, it's Leo... I know, I know... I got into a bit of a scrape, I'm sorry I didn't show up.... No, I'm fine, but I won't be able to make it tonight. Nuh-uh... I know, but Chris will have to fill in for me. He's wanted to anyway. ...No, next Saturday I should be able to be back on schedule. Yeah. ....Don't worry about it. If anybody asks, just tell them I'm not feeling well - that much is true. ...No, I'm fine, don't worry about it. ...Okay. Thanks. Later, bye."

Ending the call, he sets the phone aside, trying to think if there was anyone else he needed to call. Even his brain seemed to hurt. Folding his arms, he lets his head down to rest on them. He'd slept all night - he shouldn't be tired.


Gunner's eyes find Bree's. He knew she meant it that he could call her any time, and it was a bit of a comfort, even though he knew he'd probably never take her up on it. "Thanks."

He takes another sip from his float, then looks at his watch. He'd barely been there but a few minutes, and already, he had a nagging feeling that he needed to get back to work. Or was it that he didn't want to be vulnerable today so he just wanted to escape to some place he wouldn't be thinking about himself? His leg starts bouncing again.

"So when I was looking at pictures at your uncle's, I saw lots of him and you in the last few years but.... not a whole lot before that..." He lets his phrase trail off, not wanting to pry, but wondering about the family connections.


Trent shrugs lamely at Angel's question. "I don't know... I just feel... claustrophobic or something."

He looks down at his hand, running a finger along the new bandage. That really wasn't the truth. "I've never belonged here... even after everything I've done to try and make up for the past I just.... I just don't fit. And now...." He stops, refusing to look back up at Angel. "Katie's gone to meddling and she's gonna do all but tell Jasmine straight out about me."

His shoulders drop. "If she wasn't my niece, I woulda had it out with her right there. No one has any right to interfere with my decisions for my personal life."

Trent knew he sounded awfully grouchy, and he tries not to be. "Maybe I just want to go somewhere where no one knows me, I don't know."

No comments: