10/27/09

Wrong conclusion

Mick recoils slightly at Dan's tone and words. It takes him a moment to respond, his voice straining against his red-headed temper.

"Well, thank you for your answer, but first off, don't assume you know what I'd do if you'd been in trouble. Second, I have no idea why you think I'm treating you like a child or even disrespecting you. If I wanted to disrespect you, I wouldn't have called you on this. I've been accused of a lot of things, but rarely has it been for a lack of respect. I don't care if you're young enough to be my son - when you work here, I'll treat you like a man, whether I'm asking you to muck out a stall, or asking you to be honest about your relationship with my daughter."

Jade couldn't feel lower. She was mortified. She wanted the ground to swallow her up right then and there.

Mick is still looking Dan in the eye. "Now if you need fresh air, by all means, go get some. But when you come back, I think we need to have a little come to Jesus meeting, you and I."

"He didn't-"

Mick shoots a look in Jade's direction, warning her. "And if what he says is true, then you still need to tell me what's going on because I know dang well you're keeping something from me, and I'll be hanged if I'm going to be the brunt of secrecy."

Jade's eyes well up with tears, her anger not even tough enough to battle against the hurt. Spinning around, she starts quickly for the house.

Mick's eyes return to Dan. It was the righteous look of a father that shone in his stare. It wasn't an anger towards Dan, or even accusation. All he was trying to do was figure out what was bothering his daughter, help her, and keep her safe. He had drawn the wrong conclusion, apparently, and now didn't know what to think. Dan had just gotten in the way at the wrong time. "Don't worry about picking up the bill from the feedshop," he mentions. "You're taking the day off."


Jason zips up his duffel bag and sighs, looking around the bunkhouse. "Well... I think I got everything."

Flopping down on his back, on the bed, he looks over to Katie. "Reese will be happy to have me back by the morning... but he's gonna ask about you too. What do I tell him?"

No comments: