8/7/09

There's more?

"Well what..." Gage looks out the window around the park. "I mean... what do you do when you're not working? Like... I mean..." He felt stupid. He felt so far out of his element. "All I know is going out... doing what I'm told... getting up at five and eating cereal for breakfast." He scoffs. "There's more, isn't there? There's more that I was never allowed to do, isn't there?"


Okay, here we go." Ryder gestures across the spread of ice cream flavor samples. He and Thirteen sat at the little table in the mall shop. It had taken some doing, but he'd finally convinced someone to give them all the little cups. "We got strawberry, chocolate chip, mint, peach, caramel, sherbet... and I forgot what these others are." Ryder laughs. "Take your pick. I'm partial to peach."


Jeff doubles over in the passenger seat, his eyes glazed as he continues to shake. "K...Katie... careful.. they'll... they'll come." His eyes start to roll back in his head.

Reese's eyes go wide as he listens on the phone. "Katie? Jeff? What.. um... okay... right." Hanging up, he immediately calls Rick.

By the time Katie can reach TJY, both Rick and Reese are outside waiting. Getting the passenger door open, Rick has to catch Jeff before he falls out of the car. "My word... Jeff? Jeff can you hear me?"

Jeff seems to mumble something, but that's it.

Rick moves quickly. "Reese, take his other side. Katie, got the door for us."

Within minutes, they're in TJY, headed for the infirmary. Jeff's feet drag and he continues to mumble. "Katie... make sure she's... okay... Katie..." He collapses on the infirmary bed, trying to focus on the lights, Misty, and the other faces. "Katie???"

No comments: