8/6/09

Daughter

Gage's eyes follow Sapphire as she paces then squats down in front of him. In his gaze was a stare like looking into a black hole. It held so much emptiness, yet yearned for existence. He studies her own gaze as if searching for that existence in the words she spoke. She had compassion... mercy... grace.

"You're different." His speech was quiet, almost timid. He remained sitting, just looking at her. He had supplied the Elite with information, giving in to the interrogations these past weeks. But he hadn't expressed his feelings in the least... until now. Disappointment and hurt showed in his eyes.

"They always said they were my family. They always said that I was strong... that I was moving up in the ranks. They always said that we were working for a cause... that what we did would preserve us because we were rebelling against the system. They always said they would come get me if I was in trouble."

His eyes seem to almost glaze over. He'd been here over a month. Alec had almost been killed by their own. "It was... all a lie, wasn't it?"


Ryder stands back and watches Thirteen for a moment, seeing how she interacted with Katie and Jason. He could see she was a bit leery, but he was proud of her. "Well, we got leftovers for tomorrow then," he muses, going to help Thirteen clean up.

Jason gives Katie a little nod.
Be right back.
Heading into the kitchen himself, he pulls Ryder aside, out of earshot of Katie and Thirteen, also not letting his emotions reveal the content of the quiet conversation. "So... can I trust you?"

Ryder raises his eyebrows. "With what?"

"Keeping an eye on Katie without trying anything?"

Ryder's eyes roll. "I told you before - we're just friends. There's nothing there, mate."

"I just-"

"Look... you have my word. I made a mistake and I already apologized. I'll watch her for you - you've got nothing to worry about."

Jason relaxes just a little, and he nods. "Okay."

"You know..." Ryder cocks his head. "Kat's pretty lucky to have a bloke like you to love her enough not to want other guys hitting on her." He gives Jason's shoulder a pat before going back into the kitchen. "No worries... no worries."

Jason makes his way back over to Katie, pulling her into a hug.
I gotta get home. You be okay?

Ryder sidles up to Thirteen to help wash the dishes. "What do you say to a movie before bed?"


Being broken up by Rosetta, the fists stop, but the glares remain. Eyes fall to the ground as they receive her rebuke. Their shoulders drop with guilt. Eric runs his tongue over his bloody lip while Trent feels the side of his face. Neither had too much damage, but it was obvious that both had pulled some good moves.

Eric finally lifts his gaze to see Rosetta, while Mick stood behind her, his arms crossed. "Trent's holding out on us," Eric accuses. "I was just tired of all the secrecy games."

"It's none of your business," Trent counters.

"It is when it's my family!" Eric can feel the pain again from seeing the worry in Rosetta's eyes. "I just want to know the truth."

"I don't know anything about Jeff!" Trent exclaims. "Why won't you believe me?"

"Maybe it has something to do with all the lies you've told before."

"Guys, cut it out," Mick intervenes. "Now look, we're all uptight, but Rosetta is right. You shouldn't be fighting." He reaches out to give Rosetta's shoulder a squeeze. "Now what is this really about? Eric, you first."

Eric scowls, but controls his temper. "Trent knows something about that Agency girl and I think he knows about Jeff too."

"Evidence?"

"No."

"Trent?"

Trent eyes his brother, sister and Mick. "I don't know anything about Jeff, and that's the truth."

"What about the girl?" Mick presses.

"So I know her name. So what?"

Eric pounces again. "So why won't you explain? Why are you sneaking off?"

"I'm not."

"You are too! We have a right to know what's going on. You've betrayed us too many times."

Surprisingly, tears well up in Trent's eyes. "Just let it go."

"No."

Trent looks to Rosetta. "Please... don't make me dig this up."

"Dig what up?" Eric persists. "Does this girl know something about you? Something that could expose you?"

"No!"

"Then what?!"

Trent's voice wavers. "Just leave it alone, please."

Mick grits his teeth, unsure what to do. If Trent had important information, then Eric was right. Trent needed to tell them. "No more secrets," he states firmly. "What's the girl's significance, Trent?"

Trent swallows hard as a tear runs down his rough face. "She... she's my daughter."

A stunned silence follows.

No comments: