2/17/09

Tears

Seeing the fear behind Nate’s gaze, Laura’s tears only build until one finally trickles down her cheek.

Looking back down to see the ring again, she swallows hard and blinks, sending a tear down the other side of her face.

Silence. A reply just wouldn’t surface. She had lived in danger for years. She had been in car chases. She had been shot. She had been on death’s door. She had beaten men to a pulp with her own hands. She had learned to survive with the best of them. Yet nothing… nothing compared to the terror she felt, receiving Nate’s invitation.

Her lower lip begins to quiver. Reaching out, she takes Nate’s hands, cupping them between her own, but letting him keep the ring in his own fingers. Bending over, she rests her face against his rough knuckles, the silent tears streaming.

“I love you, Nate,” she whispers as her voice wavers. “I really do. Please don’t think I don’t.”

She sniffs, but can’t bring herself to look up at him. “I just… I don’t know… I’m so sorry.”

Her fingers run over the outside of Nate’s hands, feeling the familiar curves. “Will you…” She closes her eyes, hating the hurt she knew she was causing. “…give me some time to think about it?”

No comments: