7/7/08

Up to you

Carson grits his teeth, his fingers gripping the steering wheel more tightly. Silent for a moment, he suddenly changes lanes again, putting on the breaks and skidding to a halt on the shoulder of the road. Reaching down, he shuts the radio off and turns to glare at Misty.

“Look, I know you’re upset with me, alright? So I did something stupid. So I pulled a few stunts I shouldn’t have. So I’m sorry, alright?! But I’m not going to go groveling at your feet, begging for forgiveness when there was a dang good reason I did it.”

Fire flashes in his eyes. “If you’re just staying with me so you can keep harping on me, then forget it.”

Carson swallows hard, still looking at Misty, one hand resting on the steering wheel. “Now I’m grateful for you getting me out of jail, and for getting me this far. But so help me, I don’t need you. I can just as well get out of this car and find my own way to California. So make up your mind. Either shut up and buck up and put up with me, or I walk. It’s up to you.”

No comments: