7/7/08

Last thing

Carson stops and spins around to face Misty, his eyes reflecting the anger and hurt that he felt. “The last thing I am is a baby, Misty Miller,” he hisses. “I’ve killed people for a living for the last ten years of my life before coming here, and once…once, just once I’d like to save one. But it’s awfully hard when I got you hanging on my tail and whining about me all the time. You can’t have it both ways. Either you’re with me, or we part. It’s that simple.”

He searches Misty’s eyes, his own glaring at her to compensate for the hurt. “I know good and well the mistakes I’ve made and I don’t need you continuously pointing them out. Now I’m on my way to save my sister…but I’m only getting back in that car if I know you’re going to sit down and quit hefting around that chip on your shoulder that’s aimed at me.”

Carson pauses, his jaw muscles working with the tension. “And as far as you and I go…”

He cuts his own sentence off, leaving it unfinished. “It’s up to you what happens next, Misty. I’ve just given you the ultimatum, so now it’s your call. But make it quick because I’m running out of time.”

No comments: