7/11/08

Time to go

Carson quirks an eyebrow at Nate’s odd tone, but relents to not be defensive. He knew Nate would want the right thing done just as much as anyone else.

“Trouble?” Carson hooks his hands in his jeans pockets, giving Nate a casual look that conflicted his own inner battle. “Taking part in illegal fights, then breaking out of jail will get me in trouble?”

Knowing this really wasn’t the time for humor, let alone sarcasm, Carson lowers his eyes for just as moment, giving a sigh. “Yeah, okay…I’m sorry I lied on the phone, but I didn’t want Reese to call in the troops yet. I didn’t think you’d believe me, but I knew he’d be worried enough about Misty that he’d relent.”

Glancing around in the dark, Carson is pretty sure there are no eyes at the moment. It was the middle of the night…they’d been immobile for hours. Most likely this was a rare moment they’d be alone. “Let’s take a nice quiet walk, shall we?”

He gestures with his head for Nate to follow, and puts an arm around Misty to walk. Strolling down the side of the dim street, Carson starts telling Nate all about what was happening, starting back to Zane’s phone calls, to the fighting, the breaking jail, to coming here. He explains why they want Nate, and he relays his game plan to him, as he had Misty.

By the time he’s come to the present, they’ve walked full circle back to the vehicles. Carson leans on the hood of Misty’s car and crosses his arms. “So…that’s it. Maybe there was a better way to do this…but I feel I did what I had to do. And…right now, my only focus is my sister. So…” He glances at his watch by the light of the now gray sky. Five o’clock was coming up fast. “You can stay and help us or you can blow the whistle on us and risk my sister’s life. I have to leave it up to you because there’s nothing else I can do.”


Scott zips his suitcase shut and sets it by the door with his other bags, and squats down to give Domino some loving. The dog seemed to sense something strange was going on, and she looked at Scott as though worried, sticking close to his heels wherever he went.

Scott finally rises and walks slowly back into the living room. He would be leaving in just a little while…and he didn’t want to say goodbye. It shouldn’t be this hard…he’d be back over the weekend. But for some reason, it felt more final than that. The logic in his mind continues to hound him, reminding him that this could very well be ending something he treasured. But had to hope…he had to hope that things would be just fine…that he and Katie were strong enough for this.

Easing down on the edge of the couch, Scott reaches out and brushes Katie’s hair from her face, just taking in the way she shone with beauty. “Hey…” He whispers, not wanting to wake her too suddenly, and gently rubs her arm. “Katie…time to wake up, babe.”

No comments: