7/11/08

Doubts

Jason gives a slight chuckle and shakes his head, receiving the orange. "Theme music, huh? Yeah, I think you deserve it."

He slowly chews a slice of the fruit, even though his stomach doesn't want anything. He's quiet for several minutes, keeping his thoughts to himself. "Katie..." His eyes remain down. "I...I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't want to make you feel bad. I just...didn't..." He sighs, not sure what he's trying to say or how he's trying to say it. "I didn't want...either of us to be held back by this thing...unable to do what we want. I know there's got to be some good in it somewhere, I just..."

Jason gives up. "Listen, if you get a chance to talk to Rick...would you mind getting the scoop on my knee?" He pauses, knowing that Katie would feel his worry. "I don't think he's telling me everything."


Scott puts the last of his personal belongings into his box and sits back in his chair, scanning his cubicle. It felt so...empty. Someone would come along soon enough though and it would be full again.

Putting is hands behind his head, his mind continues to pull him back to the subject of tomorrow, and his leaving. The new job was perfect for him. The station was awaiting his arrival and were excited about him coming. The pay would be good...he already had someone to room with until he found his own place. But there was something that cast a shadow on it all. He was going alone.

Shaking his head, Scott tries to return to work, turning on his computer. He hoped that this would change nothing between him and Katie. Maybe it would actually make them stronger. He hoped that his weekend visits would keep them going, and constant contact through other means would help as well. They both could get used to it quickly.

But...logic knocked at the back door of his mind. Time apart like that wasn't always good. He hoped he could afford to commute on weekends, but most likely he wouldn't be able to as often as he'd like. Other communication was great, but it was a far cry from seeing each other face-to-face. Would they really last? For the first time, Scott had his doubts.


Carson reaches down to tilt back the seat a little in the car, keeping one eye on the motel parking lot across the street. He and Misty had a good view of it from across the street in a different lot, behind a row of bushes. It was a good vantage point, and one would have to look hard from the motel to see them. Nevertheless, it was going to be a long day and night waiting for Nate to show up. There was nothing else to do though...moving around would only create suspicion with Zane.

With the window rolled down, Carson lights up a smoke in an attempt to calm his nerves. His thoughts going a hundred miles an hour, he goes through his plan aloud to bounce it off Misty. "I figure...we're supposed to put the bag under the bench in the park. If we station Nate at the other end of the bench casually, Zane should suspect nothing. My guess is that he'll come, sit down, act like he's taking a rest, then when he gets up, he'll grab the bag. But I want Nate to have a concealed gun on him, and just talk to him quietly to warn him. Nate will instruct him to come to us...we'll be waiting closeby to tie him up and throw him in the backseat...or trunk, if he doesn't behave."

He pauses, letting the smoke slowly out of this mouth. He grimaces, mad that he'd let himself get back in the habit, and flicks the remainder of the cigarette out the window. "After that, we have to act fast so his goons don't go after Dani. We have to find out who they are and where. Once we get him to talk, then we call the cops. They can come arrest him, take out the goons, and...Dani is home free. " Carson knew that his sister would be free...but his own future, and even Misty's, was unknown.


Dani musters up a small smile. "You're so kind...a total stranger taking me in like this. Carson didn't want me to say anything about all this because he didn't want you to get in any trouble for knowingly being involved but...I didn't think it was fair to leave you in the dark."

Her eyes shift downward. "I guess someone wants a lot of money from him, so that's why they threatened to hurt me and...he got in a little bit of trouble trying to take care of it all by himself."

She sighs and looks up at Lockheart again. "Until yesterday, it had been well over ten years since I'd seen my brother...I just don't want to lose him again so quickly, ya know?"

Unexpected tears threaten to spring into her eyes, and Dani looks away. "Please...don't change any plans because of me. I don't want to be any more of an imposition than I already am."

No comments: