4/12/08

Testing

Con looks across the table at Jamie, thinking about her…thinking about them…

“Hey, Jamie…I’ve been wondering…about you going to Texas and all.” He sighs deeply. “And I don’t think any of what’s happening now should change your plans. As much as I want to help Jason, I don’t think there’s anything we can do, and it might even be a good idea if we weren’t around as much so we don’t draw any attention. If the Agency is involved it might not be bad to change our pattern.” He shrugs. “Just a thought. I know you wanted to go and tell the gang about that little boy.”

Con pauses, a new thought crossing his mind. “Oh no…somebody has to tell Cindy about Jason. It’ll probably be Austin…”



Laura quirks an eyebrow and sits up, setting the blanket aside. “Mm…thanks, but I’m not usually much of a breakfast person.” She gives a little laugh. “I’d take up the offer for a shower, but seeing as though I don’t have any clean clothes here, I might be defeating the purpose.”

She pauses for a moment, thinking her own feeling strange. Where had the awkwardness gone? She vaguely remembered seeing Nate the night before…but she hadn’t been uncomfortable. Maybe she’d simply gotten past the little episode in the TJY hallway. And at least Con had behaved decently the evening before. Laura knew Nate had no ill intentions…it was just hard to trust again, no matter how good of a friend he was or how sweet he was being.

She runs a hand through her hair and grimaces, knowing she must look a sight with no makeup and her hair all askew. “Though if I don’t shower, you’re gonna have to put up with the way I look. How about swinging by my place before work? I’ll be fast, I promise.”


Carson’s mouth twitches into a slight grin at Misty’s comment, and lets her check him over. At her question, he looks at her slyly. “I’m sore as I’ll get out, I’m going through nicotine withdrawal, and I’m still stuck here. How would you suggest I feel? Maybe if you give me a better idea than going out and shooting somebody just to take it out on them, I can give you an answer.”


Wyatt looks up from his computer in surprise. “I…well, I…” He doesn’t get a chance to defend himself as Katie continues her route. “You could have called!” he yells after her.


Reese nods in thought to Katie. “Alright…lets just let Lockheart get a handle on what’s happening first. We don’t want any of us to get involved too quickly lest we draw unwanted attention in our direction. These things move slowly, and really, that’s in our favor at the moment because nothing will happen too quickly for us not to know about it.”

He taps a pencil on his desk absentmindedly. “Later after we hear from her, I’ll have you and Nate go down to see Jason, make sure he’s holding up alright.”


Jason continues to study this woman, still unsure whether or not he can trust her. “Why would I want to call someone I don’t know?” he replies evenly.

“Look, they’ve got me in here with a charge of murder. They were able to arrest me because they traced the bullet back to my gun. It’s an open shut case, and anything else is my word against theirs – a story I could pluck out of thin air in their minds. If you still want to take it on, be my guest..”

He thinks for a moment, trying to come up with something the Agency couldn’t know about, so he could find out for sure if Lockheart was on the up and up. “If you can tell me what my signature is to Katie, you’ve got my belief that you’re on my side.”

No comments: