3/30/08

Wouldn't want to disappoint...

Con can’t help the unexplainable feeling of bliss as Jamie’s hand touches his face. What he’d never noticed before, now was something he didn’t want to live without. And if he only had Jamie’s words to go on, he knew that he wouldn’t have to live without it. Her words were true…the love remained.

Jamie’s mention of Jason provides a little bit of hope that Con hadn’t ruined anything between himself and his friend…but there was still a little bit of doubt. Sure, Jason had slugged him before…the two of them had had it out with each other more than once. This time though…Con knew good and well that he’d been out for blood, and it scared him to realize he’d taken that out on Jason. He wasn’t convinced Jason would have done quite the same for Katie.

Con considered Jamie’s suggestion for getting away. “I don’t know…I don’t know where I’d go anyway. I just feel like everything is slipping from my grasp…I’ve even gone sour on TJY. I’m just sick of the system…Reese probably wouldn’t want me back after today anyway.”

He lets the topic slide, finally able to quirk a small smile at Jamie’s reference to her mother. “Well…we wouldn’t want to disappoint her, would we?” Hesitating just a moment, Con can feel just a little bit of heat creeping up the back of his neck. Slowly, he leans over to press his lips to Jamie’s, letting this morning’s events fade away, if only for a moment. His hand makes its way to her head to run through her soft hair, feeling as though he did the night Jamie had kissed him for the first time.


Carson listens with surprising interest to Misty, though he’s still unsure of why he cares…he’s the enemy…or was…or still is…or… he doesn’t even know anymore. He’s taken off guard by Misty’s own question, not having though anyone would want to know about him. He’d always experienced assumptions based on his appearance or attitude. No one had ever cared about his story before… Misty’s question was a simple one, but for some reason, he guessed it to be sincere.

“You don’t want to know my story.” He shakes his head. “Up until about eight years ago, I was in Australia with a life too boring to talk about. And after that…” He again shakes his head. “It’s better you don’t know.”


Jason forces a bit of a laugh, not being able to imagine a physical fight with Katie. He sighs deeply as she talks, finally nodding. “Yeah, I guess maybe you’re right….maybe it was the look in his eye that got me though…it was different…cold…like he didn’t care that it was me he was beating on.” He lifts his hand to touch his bruised face again. “Oh well…if anyone can calm him down, I suppose Jamie can.” He shakes his head. “Those two were a bit of a surprise to me, I must admit.”

Sighing, he decides to move past this subject for now, letting the topic of lunch take over so he doesn’t have to think about it anymore…not now…not when he was still confused.

A grin makes its way to the surface. “Pizza it is. And since you’ve apparently been on an outing already today, might I suggest calling it in, and having it delivered?”


Laura watches Nate walk away, and grins. This was about the most she’d interacted with him since he’d come to TJY, even though he’d been there a year.
Making her way back to her cubicle, she sits down, finally feeling as though she could move on with her day. Seeing Nate’s stickynote again, she chuckles to herself.


“Yeah come in,” Reese calls. Seeing Nate, he raises his eyebrows. “I was just going to call for you. “I need someone to go talk to Carson…see what he knows…see if we can tell whether he’s telling the truth or not…that kind of thing. I was going to have Jason and Wyatt do it, but I sent Jason home, and now Wyatt had to leave to show up at a trial before someone got put in prison for a crime they didn’t commit.” He pauses in thought. “If you wouldn’t mind, I’d like you to talk to him. And have someone else with you…maybe Laura. This sounds terrible, but I’d like you to see how he reacts around her. If anything would give away ill intentions, that would be it.”

No comments: