3/25/08

Sandwiches

Jason's grin widens at Katie's embarrassment. For the first time, he felt none, only a relaxed amusement, despite the feelings that Katie's touch had stirred up.

"Don't tease," he warns. "I might just take you up on that." He rolls over to prop himself up on an elbow, still slung over her lap, but facing her upright now. He lets his piercing gaze land on her eyes, trying to see through her words to her heart. There were things there that weren't before... Since he'd gotten back from Texas, he'd seen something new in her...a happiness...a peace... it lured him in with an intense curiosity as to what it was.

Drawing back out of his intense stare, he studies her face, the same grin toying with his mouth. "What's going on inside that head of yours, Hero? Hmm?"

"Alright, you two."

Jason sits up quickly, looking to the door as Laura enters. "Ever heard of knocking?"

"No." Laura grins. "It's more fun to scare you." She holds up a brown paper sack. "It's two in the afternoon and I'd be willing to bet you haven't had anything to eat, so I brought some sandwiches and fruit juice."

Jason finally stands up to accept the food. "Well, you're right, so I'm not going to refuse. Thanks."

"No problem." Laura cocks her head to see around him and wave at Katie. "Hey. Hate to run, but I want to see Con then I'm needed back a the office. "I'll see you again soon."

With Laura leaving again, Jason flops down in the chair and finds several sandwiches in the bag. He holds one up to Katie. "Got extra. Want one?"


Con chuckles just a little. "I'll be fine, now that I know you're alright. No need to bother your mother - she's got enough to worry about the way it is."

He nods, giving her hand a reassuring squeeze. "Of course I'll be back. You're not getting rid of me that easy."

As she drifts off to sleep, he watches her for several more minutes before finally getting to his feet and turning to exit the room. His eyebrows raise at seeing Laura, but he doesn't greet her until they're both in the hall, so as not to wake Jamie back up. "Hi."

"Don't 'hi' me," Laura chides. "Come here." She holds out her arms to receive the always-comforting bear hug. "You okay?"

Con pulls away, never able to lie to his sister, but not really wanting to open himself up right now. "Yeah...I will be."

"Good." Laura holds up her second sack. "Go find somewhere to sit down and get something in your stomach, then you're going home to bed."

Con rolls his eyes. "What is it with you and Jamie?"

"Apparently we care." Laura looks up at her brother, searching his eyes. "And from what I hear, you apparently care an awful lot about her too."

Con takes the sack from her, his eyes shifting past hers. "Yeah."

Laura smiles, knowing she shouldn't tease. "She couldn't have snagged anyone better." She reaches up to pat her brother's shoulder. "Take care of yourself. I'm heading to the office."

No comments: