3/25/08

Ready?

Con shakes his head at Jamie’s question. “I don’t know what I’m gonna do…I just don’t know.”

As the evening wears on, Con is taken by surprise by Jamie’s request. He wasn’t surprised that she would be leery about being by herself again, but…

Just two weeks earlier, Con wouldn’t have hesitated. Jamie had been a little sister...but now… it felt just a little awkward. Looking into her eyes, he knows that she just needs his support right now. There would be nothing wrong with him staying with her for a couple days, though he wasn’t sure it would be such a great idea with just him and Jamie in the house.

“I’ll stay with you for as long as you need me to, okay?” Con offers her a reassuring smile. “I bet I can even get Laura to come over too.”


Jason raises his eyebrows, unable to stop a smile at Katie’s enthusiasm. It felt good to be wanted…he couldn’t deny that. He gives a short laugh. “Alright. If you feel up to it. I do have that spare helmet…” He holds it up. “You think you’re ready for a ride?”


Carson eats half his supper, then dozes for a while, only to wake up an hour later. He gets up and starts to pace the small room. No windows…no light from anywhere outside…he was beginning to feel almost claustrophobic. Running a hand through his air, it shakes just a little. There was only one thing he wanted right now, and he couldn’t have it. Quitting smoking cold turkey hadn’t exactly been on his agenda.

No comments: