2/9/08

Work starts

Mick can’t help but smile at BJ, and he straightens back up. “Pancakes it is.” Going about the task, he feels as if he’s picked up right where he left off over ten years earlier, cooking breakfast for his kids when Jill had been sick or out of town. He’s quick to whip up a bowl of batter, pouring it into the pan on the stove.
As he lets it cook, he sees BJ leave and come back, holding the picture. Taking a closer look, Mick can feel a lump rising in his throat. So that was the sister he never knew. He glances at BJ’s big eyes, wishing he had something better to say. “I don’t know, Bud…but you can be strong, can’t you?”
When the boy hesitates with Rosetta, Mick gives him a nod. “It’s alright - show her your picture.”


Jason sits down at his computer to type, allowing his thoughts to drift as they will. Decisions have to be made…a direction must be found…he can’t stay like this forever. Katie was gone, he’d messed up royally, and he wasn’t even sure of himself anymore. But something had to give before it all fell apart completely.


Wyatt grins. “I doubt you’d get lost, but we can pretend, just so I have an excuse to accompany you.” He chuckles at Katie’s question. “Dad’s a pusher, I will say that. But he’s nice - you won’t have a thing to worry about. He’ll get you going, then push you to your limit, but no further.”
Wyatt goes through Susanne’s open door, greeting her.

Susanne looks up and smiles at them both. “Good morning.”

Wyatt heads to Reese’s office and knocks before entering.

A grin comes to Reese’s face. “Well, hi, you two.”

Wyatt thumbs back to the floor. “Just letting you know I’m here, and will head out with Tye later on to go see about that gang fight.”

“Alright,” Reese nods. “Thanks.” When his son has left, he stands up from his desk to greet Katie. “Glad to see you this morning - I hope you got settled in at Laura’s place okay.” He leads her back out onto the floor to a cubicle near one corner where there is a good-sized desk, a chair and computer. “This will be your spot for a while, so make yourself at home.” He explains to her some secretarial work that she’ll be doing, demonstrating some things on the computer, and telling her how the phones work. “Today I’m going to need these letters typed up, I need this stack of paperwork copied with the originals going to Susanne and copies to me, I’ve got a list here of names who I need contact information for that you can find in our database, and…” he pauses, counting things off on his fingers. “Since you’ve got ties back at the ranch, I’d like you to be Con’s contact and pass along to me anything important. Either you can call him once a day, or he’ll call in - either way, I want you to talk to him at least every day, and report to me.” Reese takes a deep breath and looks around. “So….think you can handle that?”

No comments: