2/10/08

Who's Coming

The day has an odd feeling about it as everyone is hopeful that they will find answers with JT. The mess halls is the gathering place as usual, and Mick ensures BJ is taken care of, while trying to figure out how the day will work.

At the request of Austin, Jason joins the others, though remains on the edge, caught in his own thoughts without wanting to interact. Jade, however, remains patient and persistent, sitting next to him despite his withdrawn mood.

Wanting more than coffee, Jeff sets about getting breakfast for the others, trying to help lighten the atmosphere a little bit.

Halfway through the meal, Eric stands up, awkwardly getting everyone’s attention. “Hey, um…I just wanted to let y’all know that I’ll be taking off here about ten o’clock. I, um…I picked up a local truck driving job that will keep me busy about five days a week.”

Sparky’s eyes widen. No one knew Eric had thoughts of getting a job, let alone had been looking seriously. “Well if it’s money…”

“No.” Eric shakes his head. “I…I’m not doing too much to help you guys, and I know we’re doing okay with money especially with help from TJY, but…” He shrugs, not really knowing how to express his feelings, and not particularly wanting to try. “I’d just feel better about myself if I could be useful like this and it’ll put my rig to use again.”

“Don’t you think it’s dangerous?” Mel asks.

“I’m going to get myself a car to take back and forth between here and one of the apartments you set up,” Eric explains. “That way I won’t be seen coming and going from here quite as much since I’ll be able to slip in and out easier, and my rig will stay in town.” He sits back down, trying to let the conversations go back to normal.

It takes a few minutes, but most can see he doesn’t want to discuss it too much, so talk reverts back to plans for that day.

Late morning, they assemble once again to decide who’s going to see JT.

“Jason and I are going,” Austin states. “We need to take BJ, and Damien will be meeting us there. Mick, I’m assuming you want to go. How about you, Rosetta? And anyone else?”


Laura finishes getting dressed and runs a hand through her wet hair as she walks down the hall. As the smell of breakfast hits her nose, she raises an eyebrow and goes into the kitchen, seeing Katie. “Well good morning!” She smiles. “Something smells awfully good in here. You’re certainly more motivated than I am!”

After breakfast, Laura leads the way out into the street to her car, but when turning the key, nothing happens. Laura groans. “Oh no….” She tries again, but there’s still nothing. “Rats…they said the starter was going, but I was hoping I could last until I had enough money.” She sighs, and takes her cell phone out of her purse, dialing. “Hey, Wyatt. You’re not at work yet, are you?.... You’re on the road? Good. Swing by my place, will ya?” She grins at her own impulsiveness. “…no, it finally quit. ….Thanks. We’ll be waiting.” She puts her phone back in her purse and glances at Katie. “My place is on Wyatt’s way, so he’ll be here in just a minute. We can wait here by the curb.”

Within five minutes, a green jeep comes up the road, Wyatt in the driver’s seat. He grins as Laura opens the door and climbs in back, letting Katie take the front. “Well, my two damsels in distress, you both look chipper this morning!”

No comments: