2/3/08

Story

Con can just hear Katie’s words, and his compassion takes over as he listens. A feeling is stirred that hasn’t been evoked in many years, causing him to empathize. Part of him believes he should leave Katie in peace, and part of him is urged to comfort her. But would could he possibly say?

Shaking his head and sighing, he slowly approaches, his boots crunching on the cold ground to announce his presence. He sinks down next to Katie, leaving a comfortable space between them. “You know…” His speaks more gently than before, a rare softness showing through his gruff exterior. “When I was about your age, I had a friend…Haley.” He smiles at the memory. “I’d known her since high school and we were friends…good friends. One time I almost asked her on a date, but faltered at the last minute.” He pauses, remembering the instance. “At any rate, it wasn’t long after that, she found herself a boyfriend, and for the first time I realized that I’d always wanted to be more than friends, but…I was stuck in the background.” He pauses, staring out at the moonlit lake. “I had to accept that Haley and I would just be friends…just friends. And…I finally settled that if I couldn’t have her for my own, at least I could have her friendship, and that was better than nothing.” He gives a little laugh. “I haven’t thought of that for a long time, let alone spoke of it.”

No comments: