2/18/08

Protocol

Wyatt grins, taking the situation in stride. “It’s so easy…come on.” He takes her back in the living room and gets settled on the couch once again. By now, Ty has gone back to his room, feeling like the odd man out.
Wyatt rests back in the couch and closes his eyes. He takes a deep breath, searching for the right words, and quietly speaks aloud. “Lord…sometimes things happen and we don’t know why…we feel so out of control… we just want to fix things, but there’s nothing we can do. But we want to trust you, Lord…. We want to lean on You for support because we know that You are the one in control, and through you, all things are made right.” He pauses for a moment, collecting his thoughts. “Right now, I just want to pray for Jason. Katie and I…we’re not sure exactly what has happened…but we know that Jason has been hurt. And I just pray that you would heal him…keep him safe…watch over him as he’s in the hospital, and give the doctors wisdom. I pray that Jason may recover quickly from any injuries he might have. And Lord…give us peace as we wait for news…help us to rely on You for comfort. In Jesus’ name I pray these things…amen.”
He turns his head to give Katie a solemn smile. “You can talk too if you want. If not, that’s okay. Or you don’t even have to pray out loud…God knows your heart.”


Cindy starts to cry, and buries her face in Wes’ shoulder. “I can’t take this any more, Wes…I just can’t! How can a mother continue to live like this? I know I should trust God more, but I just feel so helpless!” She sniffs, wrapping her arms around him, begging for comfort. “It’s Jason again…he was in an accident, and they’ve taken him to the hospital. No one knows anything other than that. I don’t know if he’s fine, or if he’s dying. Why must he have the desire to continue in this line of work?!”


“Yes, that will be fine. He won’t have to go back if Matt made it up there…” Reese holds the phone between his chin and shoulder while jotting down notes. “No, Todd, I’m glad to know. I’m sure he’ll be fine with that. No reason to send him back – the only reason was because Matt hadn’t been available. Uh-huh…okay… Thanks. Yeah, keep in touch.” Hanging up the phone, his door bursts open and he looks up quickly.

Laura’s eyes are wide with worry and irritation. “Where is he?”

“Who?”

“Don’t play games with me.” Laura approaches Reese’s desk with purpose. “I just got off the phone with my brother, and I know good and well there were things he wasn’t telling me that he knew. Jason’s a good friend of mine, and so help me, I want to know where he is!”

Reese stands up from his desk, crossing his arms. “You know that goes against protocol. He’s safe. That’s all I can say.”

“We’re his family!” Laura emphasizes. “He could be dying, and all you care about is protocol?!”

“He’s not dying. He’s going to be okay. Just let the location drop.”

“I can’t!” Laura shakes her head stubbornly. “I just called all the hospitals up there and no one’s been admitted. “Now where is he?!”

No comments: