12/18/09

Nightclub

Gage looks back at the tree and smirks. "Art. Right." He chuckles softly. "The closest I've ever come to art is doodling on a napkin." He pauses in thought. "'Course that could be 'cause I've never even had more than an ink pen in my hand." He could remember once a long time ago he'd seen a box of crayons and would have done just about anything just to have the blue one.

Hearing Sapphire's thank you, he keeps his eyes on the tree, but his hand gives hers a squeeze. Taking another sip from his eggnog, he smacks his lips again. "You keep bringing goodies like this, and I'll start leaving the door unlocked for you," he teases.


Rick nods his agreement with Katie. "I'm not sure about building up an immunity but we can try. My guess would be that if this is a kind of amplifier, if you'd been the one shot, you woulda sucked Jason dry, overwhelming yourself and putting him down pretty quick."

Jason sighs deeply, running a thumb over the tender marks on his palm. "You really think this was on purpose? I mean the mark? There's no substance that could burn a hand from the inside out, let alone no where else, and let alone in a definite pattern. That just doesn't make sense."

"Katie's right though," Jeff intercedes. "Intentional or not, nobody else is gonna have marks like these. If they didn't do it on purpose, they'll find out quick enough and they'll always be able to find you."

Jason doesn't even seem to be listening and he looks to Rick again. "What are you planning to try that I need to be stronger for?"

"Um..." Rick shakes his head. "Don't worry about it now. Just rest. Both of you."

Don't worry. Yeah. Right. We're sitting here half dead with alien brands on our hands and he says just rest.
Jason closes his eyes and lets his head sink back in his pillow.
I'm so tired of this. I thought we'd finally reached a resting place.

Rick exchanges a look with Jeff then turns to go back to his work.


Sparky looks down into Faith's eyes, a little smile turning up the corner of his mouth. The brim of his hat almost hid his gaze, but not quite. "If I minded, I wouldn't have asked, now would I?"

"Sparky?" Jade calls. "Sparky, are you in- Oh." Jade stops, seeing her uncle in the stall. "Hi. Have you seen Dan?"

Sparky steps away from Faith and shakes his head. "Not for a while."

Jade suddenly realizes that Sparky wasn't alone, and she looks at him with question.

Sparky nods to Faith. "This is a friend of Annie's. Her name is Faith. Faith, this is my niece, Jade."

Jade grins and gives a little wave. "Nice to meet you, I... wait.." Her eyes widen at Sparky. "Did you say Annie?"

"Yep. She's in the house. Gonna be here for a bit."

"Yay!" Jade squeals. "I'll have to go see her. But I have to find Dan first. Ohhh, I'll have to introduce him. I don't think he's ever met Annie before..." Her voice trails off as she keeps on heading down the barn aisle.

Sparky chuckles and shakes his head. "That girl's energy never ends." He coils up the leadrope and hands it back to Faith so she can help him some more. "She's been through a rough time lately though... I'm glad she's got Dan around for someone she can spend time with. My brother, her dad, doesn't approve but... Dan's not a bad guy."

Reaching around Faith, he closes the stall, latching it shut. "Okay... lets go get some more of these hungry brutes."

It doesn't take long to get the fifteen horses in the barn. In the meantime, others have been brought in from a different pasture. Most hay and grain is fed, getting chores done a little earlier as Sparky wished, so everyone could take their time with supper.

Hanging up the leadropes, Sparky sighs and sets his hands on his hips, looking around the barn. "Well... I need to take a quick walk around the place," he informs Faith. After spending several hours with her, talking just came as smooth as if he'd known her for years. "You're free to come along, but it's getting a bit chilly, so if you'd rather go back in the dining hall, I'm sure others are already getting ready for supper."


Bret hobbles from the kitchen into the living room, favoring his leg that was still quite sore. Confusion was on his face as he finds Charlotte. He holds up a sheet of paper after having gone through today's mail.

"A letter about a change in wages? For a nightclub?" He searches his wife's face. He'd thought she was working some strange hours at the caves, especially since there were not visitors this time of year, but he hadn't questioned her. Surely this was some mistake.

No comments: