12/18/09

How stupid

Gage eyes Sapphire a moment before letting go of her hand and walking back into the kitchen. Scrounging in a little basket of change and odds and ends, he finds what he's looking for and returns. "Then here." He holds out a key. "I got two when I moved in. I've never used it."


"Me?" Sparky chuckles, his hands keeping warm in his jacket pockets. "You could have chosen a more interesting topic than that," he teases. But seeing Faith really was interested, he shrugs. "Haven't been here all my life, no. In Texas, yes, but here and there. Family history is a crazy one - too much to bore you with, though I imagine Annie's told you some. Known Rosetta for the better part of my life. And... settled here for the past year or so." He shrugs again, giving Faith a grin. "There's really not much to tell. I've kinda been a wanderer, but usually wind up back here."


Bret's eyes widen at Charlotte's explanation and he blinks as if having a hard time believing it. "You..." His eyebrows lower as he begins to frown. "You've been holding two jobs? Since I was in the hospital?"

Searching Charlotte's face, he lets out a little scoff. "Thanks for telling me. You knew I didn't know about it, and you what... just thought I didn't need to know?" He throws up his arms. "Didn't want me to worry about money? That's what I do, Charlotte - I'm the one with that responsibility. Why didn't you tell me?"

Shaking his head, it's very clear that he's not happy. "I'm probably the only fellow in town that has no idea his wife has been holding an extra job. How stupid do you like making me feel?"

No comments: