11/18/09

Million pieces

Eli grins and shakes his head. "Nope, I think I got it covered. Just make sure you have an appetite, and we should be good." He stirs the scrambled eggs on the stove, checking the bacon too.

"Glad Leo's up this morning. Part of me wondered if he'd even be able to get up at all. The other guys implied he was kind of a klutz around the shop, but he's a tough one to be doing as well as he is."

It takes a while for Leo to get his shower taken and put clean clothes on. It didn't matter which way he moved, or what muscles he was using - it all hurt. Finally done, he walks slowly back down the hall to the kitchen. He sees Eli and Ryan have breakfast on the table already, and he apologizes. "Sorry... you guys didn't have to wait."

Eli looks up and studies him for a moment. "We did, and don't be sorry. How ya feeling?"

"Um... a little better after my shower... I think." He still held his side as he eased down into a chair. "I need to call Darrel."

"Already talked to Miles," Eli informs. "He called to see how you were, and he said he'd tell Darrel you wouldn't be in for a day or two. The other guys were asking about you too."

Leo manages a little smile. It felt good to have friends like his. He glances to Ryan. "Aren't you working today?"


Gunner barely notices when the floats arrive at the table, and he gives a nod, his eyes stuck in a far away stare. "Yeah... yeah." He rubs his face and tries to be more alert. "Every time I closed my eyes last night, it was a nightmare," he admits. "So I guess my brain decided it just wasn't going to try and sleep at all." He tires to shrug it off as if it didn't bother him much. "Cat kept me company."


Trent winces as Angel looks his hand over. "Broken coffee mug. One minute it was in my hand, the next it was on the floor in a million pieces and I had this nasty cut."

He hadn't been paying attention is what had happened. He'd been upset by what Katie had told him, and had not watched what he was doing. One slip and he'd created a mess. He only hoped now that Angel didn't see the rampant emotions in his eyes. The only problem was that he knew even after all these years, she could still read him well.

"Just wrap it up, I'll be fine."

No comments: