8/9/09

Revving Engines

Jeff's fingers twitch a little, then curl lightly around Katie's hand. Though his eyes were closed, he knew it was her.

"I'm... too mean to die," he manages to whisper. He forces the corner of his mouth to upturn just a little. "I'll... be fine... I always am." His voice was dry and forced, his eys remaining closed. "It's just the same... same as it... it used to be."

Rick quirks an eyebrow and moves up behind Katie, laying a hand on her shoulder. "What does he mean the same as it used to be?"


Leo gives a jump as a quirky grin surfaces. "Half hour..." He looks at his clock. "You're in luck. You caught me at just the right time so I can pencil you into my terribly busy schedule."

Locking eyes with her, he can't help but laugh. "Okay so this was going to be the most boring day of my life. You're on, but I drive so we don't get a speeding ticket."

...Half an hour on the dot, and Leo is running up and skidding to a halt in front of Ryan. "Where we headed, oh, fast one?"


"Dani! Your phone is ringing!"

Dani turns and wipes her hands on the apron before going back into the kitchen. "I'll get it later. I gotta go get water to table three."

Carson moves to take her place. "Let me. I got a minute."

Dani sets her hands on her hips. "You sure are being nice today."

Carson shrugs lamely. "Maybe I'm sorry for yelling at you the other day."

"Really?" Dani looks to her brother hopefully. Being at odds with him had been the pits.

"Yeah." Carson grabs some glasses and the ice water pitcher. "I guess... I don't know. I know you were just trying to do what you thought was best."

For the moment, Dani ignores her phone. "I was stupid... but I just... what will happen to him, Carson? What will they do with Alec?"

"I don't know. That will depend on him. Right now, he isn't doing himself any favors with his attitude. If he shapes up, the Elite might be able to help him, but if not... he's just digging his own grave."

Dani sighs. "Yeah... I suppose." Still frowning a little, she goes to her purse that was hanging up. Fishing around for her phone, she finally finds it, then listens to her voicemail. Her frown is turned into a smile and a little giggle comes out at Dalton's message.

When Carson returns, she's still smiling. He quirks an eyebrow at her. "Something funny?"

"No... just a message from Dalton."

"Dalton?" Carson's expression intensifies. "As in the Elite agent?"

"Yes, so?"

"So... since when does he call my baby sister?"

Dani throws him a sly look. "Since your baby sister enjoyed lunch with him."

Carson blinks. "That's-" He can't finish, as he has to return to the stove, but he tosses a look over his shoulder. "Just be careful."

"Of course." Dani grins and dials the Elite number that was programmed into her phone. After reaching Susanne and being transfered, she waits until she hears Dalton's voice. "You're in luck. I have off work from the store, and Carson doesn't need me here until four. What time would you like that walk, and where?"


Bret chuckles as he gets in his car. "Mmm.... now that's a prize worth racing for."

"Hey, you two lovebirds gonna concentrate on this race?" Landon interrupts.

"Of course, of course." Bret shifts his concentration. "Right at your back door, buddy. Let's go."

The excitement builds. The crowd pulses with anticipation. The engines roar and suddenly all are in motion. The cars shoot forth from the starting line, gas pedals down, gears shifting, hearts pounding.

"Landon, watch number ten on your right, don't let him cut you off," Kirk warns into the mic. "Bret, what are you doing? Quit playing around or you're gonna lose your place."


Mick holds Rosetta close, his own heart aching. "I don't know... I don't know." A deep sigh comes out slowly. "Jason didn't give me any more details - I don't think he knew any more either. If you want someone from here to go... or... if you want to go yourself, I understand. Trent should still be in Nevada if you want to catch him before he leaves."

No comments: