5/10/09

...

Reese is a little surprised that Phinox isn't finished with his report yet, but there isn't much he can do about it.

"Well alright then. I'll go on ahead and let Brown know you're coming. Don't take too long though - I don't want to keep him too late at this hour."

Reese turns around and heads for the exit, hitting the fresh air.


Alec doesn't flinch, and doesn't look away either. The grin remains. "My brother catches me in here watching you, he'll have to get your permission, as the doctor, to hurt me again. For some reason, I bet you wouldn't let him punch me. But even if you did, that would just give me one more reason to stay up here longer. I can stand a little more pain."

He settled into his pillow, but keeps his eyes on Misty. "Besides... I hate reading books."


It had been a while. Carson wanted another break. This time though, it wasn't so he could go outside. He accepts Wyatt's offer, and leaves the cubicle once more.

He wanders down to the hallway, then into Scott's office and pauses in the doorway. Dalton was there. He'd prefer Scott alone. But the big man seemed to be engrossed in work. "Scott?"

Scott looks up. He peered at Carson through his one eye, the other still covered and masked by his contact. "Yeah?" Strange that Carson was back again.

Carson moves in closer and hooks his hands in his pockets, leaning against the wall. He keeps his voice in a low tone. "They fed you, didn't they?"

Scott's face pales slightly and he swallows hard. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Carson persists. "Why didn't you put it in your report about your abduction?"

"Put what in it?"

"About them trying to assimilate you."

Scott's eyes look down, then back up again. "I still don't know what you're talking about."

"You see the information, don't you?" Carson tries another tactic. "That's why you don't like looking through the pictures, because it's triggering all that data... isn't it?"

Scott shifts his weight nervously. "I said I don't know what you're talking about. There's as lot I don't remember."

Carson backs off a little. Was Scott telling the truth? Did he really not know what the Agency had done to him? Carson knew. But if it had been traumatic enough, maybe Scott truly didn't remember. "Alright," he relents. "But when you start seeing that information again... you shouldn't fight it. You need to tell somebody about it."

Watching Carson leave, Scott can feel the tension in himself. He didn't want to remember. He didn't want things to surface. He didn't understand this, but was afraid to face it. He knew Hope had been right... if there was something here that could help him, he shouldn't resist it. But whatever this was, it frightened him. For some reason, he knew Carson was right, even if he was trying not to remember it.

Swallowing hard, Scott tries to work again. He can almost feel Dalton's eyes, and wonders if he can get away with this whole thing going ignored.

No comments: