5/11/09

Accused

Nate’s harsh tone makes Scott immediately recoil. He sinks lower in his chair, pulling away, a fear entering his eyes.

He flinches at Nate’s loud tone, wincing as a cruel memory of interrogation surfaces.

But as the accusations build, so does Scott’s anger. Overcoming being afraid of Nate for the moment, Scott turns. His eyes have widened, tears threatening to spill over.

Slowly, he rises to his feet, staring down at Nate. “Don’t you ever… ever accuse me of not caring about Katie or wanting her to die.”

His fists ball at his sides so tightly that his knuckles turn white. His lower lip trembles. “I… do not… know… anything!” With each word, his tone rises.

There was something inside of him… something that was evoking a terrible fear that he was unwilling to face.

“How many times do I have to tell you?!”

Scott can’t help the pain that courses through his gaze. “You of all people, Nate… I would have at least thought that you never would have accused me of playing the wrong side. But I guess I was wrong about you.”

No comments: