2/16/09

Won't stop you

Kyle's eyes widen slightly and he looks quickly to Alice as she speaks. He barely notices the ride is moving again as he just studies her eyes as if determined to find something.

"You really are interested in my story, aren't you?" His look turns to one of almost confusion as to why on earth she really would be, but also one of realization that it was in fact, true.

He shifts his weight so he can sit more at an angle, almost facing Alice. "You're not improper in my book, though you are bold. It's like throwing some pepper on bland food. Makes you go "wow" but it's a good thing."

Stopping, Kyle laughs and shakes a head at his stupid comment. "I think I just called you a spice."

Trying to recover, he takes a deep breath. "Well, Alice Whitt... I'm not going to ask you to go because then I'd be the one feeling improper. But I won't stop you if you want to go, and I won't tell you no. Thing is..."

He hesitates. "Nobody knows this yet, so I'm just gonna ask you not to say anything to anybody. But I got a friend who's part of "Break Out," the karate team that travels around and does sessions for kids on making the right choices, don't do drugs, that sort of thing. He, um... he's asked me to join their next tour. They're leaving in a few weeks... it'll be a team of eight people and we'll be traveling by bus."

Saying it aloud for the first time, it almost surprises even Kyle. "No music... no family... no hometown... something totally different.... something that will get me away from my pipedreams and get my feet back on the ground."

Looking off in the distance, Kyle is quiet for a moment before turning back to Alice with a crooked grin. "So I guess if you're bound and determined to write about me, and you don't mind driving your car behind a bus the whole time - I won't stop you."

No comments: