2/3/09

Rare

Rocky returns Jess' smile with his own. "I don't know what you're thanking me for, but I guess you're welcome."

During the rest of the meal, Rocky keeps conversation light, asking Jess more surface questions about a few of her likes and dislikes, concerning anything from food to music, and sharing some about himself too.

By the time he glances at his watch, his plate has been long-empty, and the lunch crowd has already dwindled. His eyes widen as he sees the time. "Ohhhh no." He grimaces. "I am so dead, and I'm sure I've made you late too. At this rate, I'll be on the road until six with deliveries."

Sliding from the booth, he grabs his hat to slap back on his head. Grabbing his wallet, he takes out enough money to pay for both meals. Heading off any refusal, he states simply, "My treat."

Smiling, he pauses, giving Jess a nod. "Been fun, Jess. See you around?"


Scott almost gives a scoffing laugh. "You may be photogenic, but I don't think anybody would want the face of me anywhere permanently."

Pausing, he traces the threads on his jeans with a finger. "Rick is waiting," he mentions quietly. He really didn't feel like talking much more today. He was getting even more tired, and a headache had formed.

Getting up from his chair, he takes one last glance down at the photos, then finally back to Hope. "Seventeen point one," he muses. "It's...a rare number."

No comments: