1/31/09

Better

Jason is still sitting behind Austin’s desk when Katie comes in. He looks up at her, his eyes searching for anything that made sense.

“I…I don’t know,” he answers lamely. For a few moments, his shock overrides the other emotions he’s feeling. He was too confused right now to be angry. "I..."

He blinks and just stares up at Katie. "How did... what...." He tries to clear his mind. "I'm in charge of the Elite." His own tone indicates the confusion, and amazement that he was suddenly in this position.

"I'm... in control? Chief?" He pauses again, thinking. "What... I mean... holy cow, Katie."

Despite the tenseness, a bit of humor slips through. "Guess I can change the rules about making it to work early every day."

He tries to laugh a little, but then just shakes his head. "What do I do?"


Rocky chuckles and takes the small clipboard back. "Well, my day is going w..." His voice trails off and he quirks his eyebrow as he stares at Jess' signature. "I take back what I said. I really did forget your name. This says Jemmmm Ferchen..."

Looking back at her, he grins, the humor twinkling in his eyes. "My day is going just fine. The weather is nice out there, so that helps."

Pausing for just a moment, he cocks his head. "It would be going even better if you agreed to meet me for lunch."

No comments: