11/1/08

Yes

Jason's face changes to show compassion seeping through. He and Scott hadn't always gotten along that well, but seeing him like this... it was just a bit upsetting.

He moves to pull a chair close to the bed and sit down, staying close, but letting Katie talk to Scott without interfering. Scott had always responded well to her, and Jason hoped he would now too. It wasn't fair that Scott was suffering like this.

Scott keeps resisting Katie's comfort, but starts to settle down a little bit, soaking in her comforting words. He felt like crying, but his eyes were dry. He felt like screaming, but his lungs didn't feel capable.

"I can't tell... they told me.... I... I'm under orders."

Jason raises his eyebrows.
Under orders? What's he talking about? Whose orders?

Scott swallows hard and finally relaxes enough to lift his head and rest his chin on his knees, staring into the dim room. "It... I can't... they said..." He stops again.

Turning his head, he has to turn his face completely to be able to see Katie with his good eye. He trusted her... he had to. He knew this hadn't been right.... but...

He brings up enough courage, and speaks with a quiet whimper. "They...they asked me and.... and they made me.... made me tell them what happened. It... I... I mean..." he swallows "I had to think... I couldn't remember..."

Jason can't help but move closer. "Who, Scott?" he asked quietly "Who is 'they?'"

Scott flinches at the sound of Jason's voice. "You...no.. I mean..."

Jason stiffens. "Austin."

Scott's eyes widen slightly, and looks to Katie as it almost asking for permission to speak. "Y...yes."

No comments: