9/14/08

Fresh air

Jason flops down on his couch. It seemed the same as every other night. He sighs, and flips on the television. The only difference tonight was that he didn’t have any supper. He hadn’t been hungry…he’d just been tired…just wanted to sack out and do nothing.


Kyle grins as Misty gets into the truck. “I wouldn’t care if you had bedhead – you’re still the prettiest girl on the planet.”

Giving a nod, he starts the engine. “The lakefront it is, melady.”



Scott shrugs as he continues to stare at he menu. “Maybe Herb changed the selections?” He grins. “Stranger things have happened.” He gives Katie’s hand a squeeze. “Give me a minute…I’ll find what I want…I’m sure of it…I think…”

Supper is pleasant. Scott keeps up small talk about TJY, photography, Domino and Texas. They enjoy their food, and finally it’s just relaxing after the meal.

Scott grows fairly quiet after a while, finally what’s been on his mind, coming to the surface again.

“Katie…” his voice proves a bit of strain… perhaps worry… His eyes fall to the table, and he runs his finger along the rim of his glass, trying to figure out the best way to word this.

Finally he looks up to her again. “I, um… I wanted this to be a nice evening for the two of us before I said anything…then I didn’t want to say anything at all…but I wanted to be fair with myself.”

He pauses, running words through his mind again. “I…I know that you kissed Jason last night…” He lets his sentence hang, his eyes searching her for the answers of why.


Carson checks the clock before hanging up his apron. He was used to sticking around even after he didn’t have to, but tonight, some fresh air sounded good.

“Hey, Herb, I’m taking off. Be back in time to help close up.”

Going to his room first, he grabs his denim jacket to throw it on, changes his shoes, then heads to the door. Exiting into the evening air was a nice cool shock to his skin. Walking only a few feet, he leans back against the brick wall, just breathing for a few minutes, wanting to figure out a destination rather than walking aimlessly, though it wasn’t easy without having a bar in mind.

No comments: