8/4/08

Purple

Kyle snorts at Katie's comment, picking up his twin's cue as if it had all been planned. "A burden? You? Good grief, Katie. You ought to know better than that. Not THAT much has changed." He gives her a silly grin. "You know we think the world of you."

Phil slaps him upside the head. "Now you're gonna embarrass the poor girl."

"Naw, just myself."

"So what else is new?"

"What is this? Pick on Kyle day?"

"It always is," Mike quips. "You're just too easy to pick on."

Kyle grimaces and looks at Katie again. "See what I have to deal with? Pretty soon I'm going to need you as my own personal body guard to fend off these guys. My sister doesn't even help me anymore."

Jen gives him a shocked look. "I defend you when I think you deserve it."

"See?!"

A new voice breaks in. "Kyle, shut up before you dig a hole so deep no one's ladder will be tall enough."

Kyle's head whips around to see Jason. "My friend...my dear friend...he won't even take my side."

Jason grins and comes up behind him, hooking his foot under his chair leg and pulling so the chair tips and Kyle is forced to stand so he doesn't fall over.

Phil laughs and shakes his head. "Hotshot is in the house. How's it going?"

"Fair. Busy day." Jason rolls his eyes. He flops down on the edge of Katie's bed, as the spare chairs are taken up already. "I'm busting my britches to get a project done for Reese. He isn't letting me back out on cases yet, but if he doesn't let me soon, I'm gonna go stir crazy. It's just getting Rick to sign that stupid paper to release me." He sighs, and switches subjects, looking to Katie. "So. How's Hero today? You're looking good."


Carson lets Misty run a finger over his fresh bruise, knowing that she's wondering what happened. When she doesn't ask though, his gratefulness is apparent on his face.

He grins at her comments of good looks at trust, and is about to answer, but he's taken in by her kiss instead. Returning it, he doesn't care who's in the restaurant. Showing his affections in public never had bothered him, and he wasn't about to give up one of Misty's kisses. She did something to him he never had been able to explain.

Receiving Aerith's whack to his arm, he straightens up feigning an injury. "Hey, watch it! I only got two good arms! Herb, control your employees!"

Swiveling back to Misty, he gives her a wink and a nod. "Eggs, toast and bacon, it is." Heading back through the doors, he takes his towel and rolls it up, snapping it on Aerith's back before scooting out of reach.

It's not too long before Carson brings Misty her food himself, setting her plate down to reveal a smiley face made out of the eggs and bacon. "Madam...breakfast is served." He pauses a moment, growing serious again. Looking Misty in the eye only confirmed that he didn't want to hide anything from her. He gestures to his eye. "The detective thought I'd look good in purple." He shrugs. "But it's over now."


Scott focuses his eyes downward as Jamie speaks. Everything she said made sense...it really did. And he wanted to feel that hope...it just felt so...impossible right now. Katie HAD done a lot for him...she really had flipped his world upside down and helped him see life from a new perspective. It was just...without her...he felt like he'd been catapulted backward in time to when all he'd done was hibernate and live in his own little world where it was safe. Without a hero by his side, he didn't know how to walk anymore.

He swallows hard and forces himself to look up at Jamie. "Thanks. I, um...I'll think about seeing her."

No comments: